[Ip-health] IFN is DEAD

George Carter fiar at verizon.net
Sat Dec 7 05:15:27 PST 2013

With the announcement (and laughable litany of lies from Gilead about how they'll work to get the drug to all who need it) of the FDA approval of sofosbuvir and the previous approval of simeprevir, the era of PEG-IFN/ribavirin is over. These nasty drugs can be thrown in the trash heap (or, more politely, reserved as an extreme last resort).

Sofosbuvir/simprevir have a high rate of efficacy (and don't seem to interact with ARV):
http://hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com/sofosbuvirgs7977simeprevirtmc435.html

Work ahead.
1. NIH - What is the procedure to get Griffin Rodgers at NIDDK (or Tony at NIAID) to undertake studies of sofosbuvir/simeprevir or sofosbuvir/daclatasvir among HIV/HCV co-infected individuals?
http://www2.niddk.nih.gov/AboutNIDDK/Director/default.htmv

There are no doubt a litany of studies that should be undertaken.

2. Generics should be made immediately. Any price over $500 for the two drugs for a course of treatment is an obscenity. People with Hep C in middle income countries will be murdered. In the United States, State medicaid and other formularies may simply refuse to permit people to use sofosbuvir if the cost per patient is approaching $90,000. It will take only ONE state to say NO to Gilead and seek to import the generics.

The usual polite efforts to get companies to be sane about drug pricing have failed horribly. We have to up our game if we are to break the chains of bondage that place our lives in jeopardy.

George M. Carter