[Ip-health] MSF responds to G-FINDER survey on R&D funding for neglected diseases

Joanna Keenan-Siciliano joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:54:06 PST 2013

The annual G-FINDER survey, which reports on funding for neglected
diseases, went out late today in London. The report looks at the levels of
public, private and industry financing levels for some of the world's most
neglected diseases.

MSF responds to G-FINDER survey on R&D funding for neglected diseases

http://www.msfaccess.org/content/msf-responds-g-finder-survey-rd-funding-neglected-diseases

"The G-FINDER report has shown – once again – that levels of private
funding for the world’s most neglected diseases remains very low. The lack
of private funding for neglected diseases is a clear indication of the
failure of the current R&D model to finance and address the needs of the
diseases that principally affect the world’s poor. Unfortunately the report
compares R&D funding between neglected diseases instead of looking at the
whole picture, which only serves to underline the fundamental imbalances
within our R&D system which has led to all 31 diseases being systematically
underfunded.

Let's not forget that, in 2012, barely a third of the recommended $2
billion annual investment needed for TB R&D was funded. We should not
narrow our outlook to fight for funding between neglected diseases, rather
than addressing the overarching cause of neglect - a defunct R&D system
that prioritises R&D investments according to profitability not health
needs; we should not accept this narrowing of perspective.

A stop-gap measure isn’t going fix the issues with R&D funding that need to
be addressed; what we urgently need is a complete overhaul of the system
and way of thinking for R&D financing. We need to see new and different
incentives for patient needs-driven innovation beyond the promise of
monopolies and high pricing in lucrative markets."

- Katy Athersuch, Medical Innovation and Policy Advisor, Médecins Sans
Frontières Access Campaign

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: twitter.com/joanna_keenan