[Ip-health] Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, Announces First-of-its-Kind Drug Donation Program for HIV-Infected Treatment-Experienced Children

Mohga Kamal-Yanni mkamalyanni at Oxfam.org.uk
Fri Dec 13 08:49:48 PST 2013

Why does not JJ join the Medicine Patent Pool if JJ wants to seriously
contribute to global fight against HIV. Instead they burden countries with
separate un- sustainable donation programs. Have not they learnt the
shortcomings of donation for these kinds of medicines/diseases?

Best wishes
___________________________________
Mohga
Dr. Mohga M Kamal-Yanni
Senior health & HIV policy advisor, Oxfam GB
John Smith Drive, Oxford, OX4 2JY, UK
UK Mobile   + 44 (0)777 62 55 884
Follow me @MohgaKamalYanni
----- Forwarded by Mohga Kamal-Yanni/Campaigns & Policy/Oxfam on
13/12/2013 16:41 -----

From:   Janssen Global Public Health Communications
<JanssenGPH at its.jnj.com>
To:     "Manson, Karen [JACGB]" <KMANSON at its.jnj.com>
Date:   11/12/2013 07:54
Subject:        Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson &
Johnson, Announces First-of-its-Kind Drug Donation Program for
HIV-Infected Treatment-Experienced Children

If you are unable to see the message below, click here to view.

Janssen, the Pharmaceutical Companies of
Johnson & Johnson, Announces First-of-its-Kind
Drug Donation Program for HIV-Infected
Treatment-Experienced Children

At Janssen, the pharmaceutical companies of Johnson & Johnson, we have a
long history of working to improve the lives and well-being of children
living with HIV. Our efforts have spanned from working to ensure that no
child is born with HIV to developing a portfolio of pediatric HIV
medicines designed to address the unmet needs of children and adolescents
experiencing HIV treatment failure

As you know, treatment of pediatric HIV remains significantly neglected
across sub-Saharan Africa and other resource-limited settings. Today, more
than three million children and young people are living with HIV; yet only
one-third in need is receiving treatment in low-resource settings. Access
to first-line pediatric HIV treatment and preventing mother-to-child
transmission (PMTCT) of HIV remain the cornerstones of the global HIV
response. Diagnosing HIV infection in children and initiating treatment
are critical first steps in addressing this public health issue. But it is
one step of many. A small but growing number of young people are already
in need of second- and third-line HIV medicines to stay healthy. As more
children and adolescents receive HIV treatment as a result of the global
push for early initiation of treatment, we must also prepare for the
growing need for second- and third-line therapies.

Janssen is launching a collaborative new effort to build awareness, incite
action, and advance learning around the unmet medical needs of children
and adolescents experiencing HIV treatment failures in sub-Saharan Africa.
As part of this initiative, on Monday we proudly announced a
first-of-its-kind pediatric HIV treatment donation program whereby Janssen
will provide our approved HIV medicines, including child-friendly
formulations, to eligible sub-Saharan African countries for children and
adolescents experiencing HIV treatment failure.

During a Janssen-hosted symposium entitled When Children Need HIV
Treatment Beyond First-Line: How Can We All Respond? at the 17th
International Conference on AIDS and STIs in Africa (ICASA), speakers Dr.
James Nuttall (Red Cross Children?s Hospital and the University of Cape
Town), Sister Mary Owens (Nyumbani), and Dr. Appolinaire Tiam (The
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation) discussed the need for new and
coordinated action to create meaningful impact for children experiencing
HIV treatment failure in sub-Saharan Africa. As part of the discussion, we
invited Ministries of Health in sub-Saharan Africa to submit a formal
Expression of Interest to participate in the novel charitable donation
program.

We will donate our approved HIV medicines PREZISTA® (darunavir) and
INTELENCE® (etravirine), including child-friendly formulations, to
eligible countries with the clinical capacity and willingness to address
second- and third-line pediatric HIV treatment needs in their countries.
Each child enrolled will receive donated PREZISTA® and/or INTELENCE® as
needed until they turn 19 at which point they will be transitioned into
the adult national HIV program or other designated by the national HIV
program for continued treatment. Janssen will collaborate with many
organizations on the launch and implementation of this initiative,
including the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF), the
Partnership for Supply Chain Management (PFSCM), and MAP International. We
hope other external partners and experts will join us to fully maximize
the impact and reach of this initiative.

The country application period for participation in our donation
initiative will begin on January 15, 2014 and remain open until February
14, 2014. An independent, third-party review committee of international
experts in pediatric HIV will review all applications to determine country
eligibility to receive the donation. We will announce country approvals in
March 2014.

Through this initiative, we believe we can make an immediate and
meaningful difference one child at a time. If you?d like to learn more
about this effort, please visit www.pedaids.org/treatmentdonation. We look
forward to sharing important updates about our progress in this vital new
endeavor.

Anu Gupta
Karen Manson
Perry Mohammed
Carol Ruffell
Executive Director, Strategic Alliances & Grantmaking, Johnson & Johnson
Corporate Contributions
Senior Director, Janssen Global Citizenship
Medical Director, Janssen Global Access and Partnerships
Director, Janssen Global Access and Partnerships

The Content is being used for illustrative purposes only and any person
depicted in the Content is a model.

Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering.

Oxfam GB is a member of Oxfam International and a company limited by guarantee registered in England No. 612172.
Registered office: Oxfam House, John Smith Drive, Cowley, Oxford, OX4 2JY.
A registered charity in England and Wales (no 202918) and Scotland (SC 039042)