[Ip-health] Psy for Malaysian AIDS Council - worldwide campaign

Burcu Kilic bkilic at citizen.org
Tue Feb 5 13:18:41 PST 2013

Dear all,

I am posting this on behalf of Fifa Rahman from Malaysian AIDS Council. Please support her.
Burcu

Hi all,

Malaysian AIDS Council (MAC) is an umbrella body representing 49 HIV/AIDS organizations across Malaysia, providing treatment and care services, campaigning for policy changes that protect people at risk for HIV, mitigating harm done by discriminatory practices, and campaigning for access to affordable medicines.

Last month, to our horror, the Ministry of Health in Malaysia announced that it would cut Malaysian AIDS Council's funds by RM1.2 million (USD$400,000). This is 80% of our budget. We had heard rumors about this and had tried to negotiate , We issued parliamentary statements, and pleas through social media, but to no avail.

Then, we heard that the government would be hiring worldwide superstar Psy to sing Oppa Gangnam Style at a political event. It is not clear who is paying for the concert. There have been speculations that it is a private company, not the government. Psy would still receive RM 3.0 million (USD 1 million) for his performance in Malaysia.
Just to raise some awareness about the issue, we decided to start a campaign to get Psy to donate some of what he earns here in Malaysia to the Malaysian AIDS Council.  We call the campaign #psyformac.

Please help spread the word! Organisations that do great work depend on your support. Tweet with the hashtag #psyformac and tag Psy (@psy_oppa) himself in your tweets! Let's make this a worldwide campaign!

For more information, please contact Fifa Rahman fifarahman at hotmail.com

Burcu Kilic, Ph.D.
Legal Counsel, Global Access to Medicines Program
Public Citizen | Protecting Health, Safety and Democracy
TEL: +1 202-588-7792
1600 20th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
Twitter: @burcuno