[Ip-health] Request to post ITB 2013.04

George Carter fiar at verizon.net
Thu Feb 7 04:01:04 PST 2013

It would be terrific if UNITAID would use some mechanism, I don't know what--eminent domain?--and for the public health emergency presented by hepatitis C--returned PSI-7977 (sofosbuvir) and daclatasvir to the public domain for a) further clinical trials of 12 and 24- weeks of therapy in various populations including among persons living with HIV and b) greater access to the millions in places from South America to the Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan and elsewhere where the hepatitis C pandemic is destroying lives and straining health care systems.

This simple, shorter regimen with mild side effects (and nothing as horrible as costly, toxic and debilitating interferon-ribavirin) is being denied to the well over 100 million of us living with this disease out of the sheer greed and insensate corporate envy of Gilead "Sciences."

See, e.g., http://www.epidemic.org/thefacts/theepidemic/worldPrevalence/ and
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1478-3231.2008.01934.x/full

George M. Carter

On Feb 7, 2013, at 5:07 AM, DE LEON, Imelda Iral wrote:

> Dear Officer at IP-health,
>
> UNITAID is a global health initiative, established to provide sustainable, predictable and additional funding to significantly impact on market dynamics to reduce prices and increase the availability and supply of high quality medicines, diagnostics and related commodities for the treatment of HIV/AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis, primarily for populations in low-income and lower-middle income countries.
snip...