[Ip-health] Twenty Top Generic Drugs Delayed By Industry Payoffs

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:17:20 PDT 2013

[Was a time when USers would rise up against monopolies and trusts...
but now, they seem to know their place... perhaps if congressmen and
women wore jackets like NASCAR sponsors it would make politics more
manageable... 40 million Americans without healthcare, mostly black and
hispanic... ]

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*
July 11, 2013
10:31 AM

*CONTACT: US PIRG <http://www.uspirg.org>*

Laura Etherton, U.S. PIRG, 971-266-2453
<http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2013/07/971-266-2453>,
etherton at pirg.org <mailto:etherton at pirg.org>
Kathy Melley, Community Catalyst, 617-791-0708
<http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2013/07/617-791-0708>,
kmelley at communitycatalyst.org <mailto:kmelley at communitycatalyst.org>

    Twenty Top Generic Drugs Delayed By Industry Payoffs

      New Research Shows People with Cancer, Heart Disease, Other
      Serious Conditions Forced to Pay 10 Times More Than Necessary for
      Medication

WASHINGTON - July 11 - Americans with cancer, heart disease, epilepsy
and other conditions have been forced to pay an average of 10 times more
than necessary for at least 20 blockbuster drugs, according to a report
released today by Community Catalyst and the U.S. Public Interest
Research Group (U.S. PIRG).

The report, "Top Twenty Pay-for-Delay Drugs: How Drug Industry Payoffs
Delay Generics, Inflate Prices and Hurt Consumers
<http://uspirg.org/reports/usp/top-twenty-pay-delay-drugs>," reveals
that these drugs were subject to an industry practice called "pay for
delay," in which brand-name pharmaceutical companies pay off generic
drug manufacturers to keep lower cost equivalents off the market,
forcing consumers to pay higher brand-name drug prices.

The top 20 list comes after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that
pay-for-delay agreements may be illegal under antitrust law.

"It's outrageous that drug companies are paying off the competition to
keep prices high," said Laura Etherton, U.S. PIRG health care policy
analyst. "Because of this, Americans pay inflated drug prices, or go
without necessary medication. This needs to stop."

Pay-for-delay deals have postponed as many as 142 generics from coming
to market, according to Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reports. But
since the details of these deals rarely become public, consumers have
been largely kept in the dark about the problem.

"These 20 drugs from the report are just the tip of the iceberg," said
Wells Wilkinson, Director of Community Catalyst's Prescription Access
Litigation Project. "These schemes by the drug industry have forced
consumers to pay billions more for just these 20 drugs. How many
generics of other 'blockbuster' drugs have been kept out of reach by
these backroom deals? How much has pay for delay cost consumers overall?"

Karen Winkler found out about the issue the hard way. A pay-for-delay
deal made it harder for her to access the medication she needed for her
multiple sclerosis-related fatigue. "I needed Provigil just to function,
but it cost me $500 a month out-of-pocket, even with insurance," she
said. "For years, I'd skip pills or split doses just to get by, and
eventually had to stop taking my medicine because I could no longer
afford its high price."

Pay-for-delay deals blocked the generic version of Provigil for six
years, until last October. Karen now pays a $16 co-pay every three
months for the medication. "I'm back to living my life," she continued.
"But no family should have to go through what we did."

Key findings of the report:

    . Pay for delay has held back generic medicines used by patients
    with a wide range of serious or chronic conditions, ranging from
    cancer and heart disease to depression and bacterial infection;
    . Payoffs have delayed these 20 generic drugs for five years on
    average, and as long as nine years;
    . The top 20 brand-name drugs cost an average of 10 times more than
    their generic equivalents, and as much as 33 times more; and
    . Combined, brand-name drug companies made an estimated $98 billion
    in total sales of these 20 drugs while the generic versions were
    delayed.

Key drugs highlighted in the report include:

    . Tamoxifen: People with breast cancer waited nine years for generic
    competition to bring down the cost of this drug, a widely used
    treatment for hormone-receptive breast cancer, due to a
    pay-for-delay deal.
    . Lipitor: People with high cholesterol pay as much as $205 for a
    30-day supply of Lipitor. Now that the generic version is available,
    it costs $18. During the time the generic was delayed, Pfizer made
    $7.4 billion in sales of Lipitor in the last year alone.
    . Lamictal: People with epilepsy can pay as much as $465 for
    brand-name Lamictal -- 33 times the price of the generic, now that
    it is finally available. Pay for delay postponed the generic for
    three years.
    . Cipro: The brand-name version of the antibiotic Cipro can cost
    $346 for the most commonly prescribed quantity, while the generic
    costs just $23. Bayer made a deal with generic drug makers to delay
    the drug for seven years.
    . Provigil: Many multiple sclerosis patients and others faced paying
    up to $1,200 a month for this drug because the brand-name
    manufacturer, Cephalon, paid four different generic drug
    manufacturers a total of more than $200 million to keep the generic
    version off the market until 2012.
    . Pay-for-delay deals are currently blocking generic versions of at
    least five drugs: Aggrenox (stroke prevention), Niaspan (high
    cholesterol), AndroGel (synthetic testosterone), Nuvigil
    (narcolepsy), and Nexium (heartburn and GERD).

The Supreme Court ruling is likely to lead to further legal challenges
to pay-for-delay deals. But while litigation may ultimately help
consumers recover some of the unfair costs these deals have caused,
consumer advocates are calling on Congress to finish the job and pass
legislation to put a stop to the practice.

"Consumers have been stuck paying more than they should have to for
needed medication. Now, they're looking to Congress to put a stop to
this practice," said Etherton. "Lawmakers should end these drug company
shenanigans that inflate drug prices and hurt the people that rely on
prescription drugs."

There is bipartisan support for ending pay for delay. Sens. Amy
Klobuchar (D-MN) and Chuck Grassley (R-IA) are sponsoring S.214, the
Preserve Access to Affordable Generics Act. The bill declares that
pay-for-delay deals are presumed anti-competitive and unlawful, and it
authorizes the FTC to enforce the law by initiating proceedings against
companies that participate in such deals.

Sens. Al Franken (D-MN) and David Vitter (R-LA) are sponsoring S.504,
the FAIR Generics Act. The bill reduces the incentive for generic and
brand name drug companies to make pay-for-delay deals by letting a
second generic drug company enter the market if the first generic
company takes a pay-for-delay deal.

Download the report here.
<http://uspirg.org/reports/usp/top-twenty-pay-delay-drugs>

###

U.S. PIRG, the federation of state Public Interest Research Groups
(PIRGs), stands up to powerful special interests on behalf of the
American public, working to win concrete results for our health and our
well-being. With a strong network of researchers, advocates, organizers
and students in state capitols across the country, we take on the
special interests on issues, such as product safety,political
corruption, prescription drugs and voting rights,where these interests
stand in the way of reform and progress.

--
WARNING: The National Security Agency is likely recording and storing
this communication as part of its unlawful spying programs on all