[Ip-health] Sign-on letter in support of proposed patent law reform in Brazil that will increase access to medicine

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Mon Jul 15 10:28:24 PDT 2013

Sean Flynn, Amy Kapczynski, and I have worked on an academics/experts' letter and brief technical review in support of proposed patent law reform in Brazil (available at: http://infojustice.org/support-brazil.)    In August 2013, Brazil will be issuing a major report and proposed legislative reforms that will incorporate lawful TRIPS flexibilities into its patent law including: eliminating patent term extensions and data exclusivity, restricting patents on new forms and new uses and tightening the the inventive step requirement (following the India example), adopting government use procedures, and clarifying the role that ANVISA, its drug regulatory agency, plays in the patent examination system.  We hope you will add to the 90 signers thus far by providing the following information at the infojustice site, or you can just return email to me b.baker at neu.edu<mailto:b.baker at neu.edu>:

Name
Institutional affiliation
Country
Whether you sign on to the letter only or to the letter and the technical review.

In our judgment, this is a very important moment where Brazil is rectifying past shortcomings in its patent law.  The proposed patent reform demonstrates growing momentum in low- and middle-income countries to maximize use of TRIPS-compliant flexibilities to help ensure access to medicines for all. We believe that the support of academics and other experts is useful both internally to help support adoption in Brazil and externally to counteract what is certain to be strong negative reaction from the US and EU and Big Pharma.

Brook
Professor Brook K. Baker
Northeastern U. School of Law
Affiliate, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
Senior Policy Analyst Health GAP (Global Access Project)
Alternate NGOs Board Member UNITAID
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056