[Ip-health] Big pharma mobilising patients in battle over drugs trials data

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 12:27:32 PDT 2013

Big pharma mobilising patients in battle over drugs trials data

Leaked memo from industry bodies reveals strategy to combat calls by
regulators to force companies to publish results

Ian Sample, science correspondent
The Guardian, Sunday 21 July 2013 19.44 BST
Jump to comments (10)

Assorted pharmaceuticals
Pharmaceutical industry has broadly resisted moves to share data from
drugs trials more freely. Photograph: Loic Venance/AFP/Getty Images

The pharmaceutical industry has "mobilised" an army of patient groups to
lobby against plans to force companies to publish secret documents on
drugs trials.

Drugs companies publish only a fraction of their results and keep much
of the information to themselves, but regulators want to ban the
practice. If companies published all of their clinical trials data,
independent scientists could reanalyse their results and check
companies' claims about the safety and efficacy of drugs.

Under proposals being thrashed out in Europe, drugs companies would be
compelled to release all of their data, including results that show
drugs do not work or cause dangerous side-effects.

While some companies have agreed to share data more freely, the industry
has broadly resisted the moves. The latest strategy shows how patient
groups – many of which receive some or all of their funding from drugs
companies – have been brought into the battle.

The strategy was drawn up by two large trade groups, the Pharmaceutical
Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) and the European
Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA), and
outlined in a memo to senior industry figures this month, according to
an email seen by the Guardian.

The memo, from Richard Bergström, director general of EFPIA, went to
directors and legal counsel at Roche, Merck, Pfizer, GSK, AstraZeneca,
Eli Lilly, Novartis and many smaller companies. It was leaked by a drugs
company employee.

The email describes a four-pronged campaign that starts with "mobilising
patient groups to express concern about the risk to public health by
non-scientific re-use of data". Translated, that means patient groups go
into bat for the industry by raising fears that if full results from
drug trials are published, the information might be misinterpreted and
cause a health scare.

The lobbying is targeted at Europe where the European Medicines Agency
(EMA) wants to publish all of the clinical study reports that companies
have filed, and where negotiations around the clinical trials directive
could force drug companies to publish all clinical trial results in a
public database.

"Some who oppose full disclosure of data fear that publishing the
information could reveal trade secrets, put patient privacy at risk, and
be distorted by scientists' own conflicts of interest. While many of the
concerns are valid, critics say they can be addressed, and that openness
is far more important for patient safety."

Tim Reed, of Health Action International, a group that has previously
exposed the pharmaceutical industry's financial links with patient
groups, said: "It's incredibly ironic that this is a transparency
initiative and we've now got clear indications that the pharmaceutical
industry is ready to use patient organisations to fight their corner.

"It underlines the fact that patient groups who are in the pay of the
pharmaceutical industry will go into battle for them. There's a hidden
agenda here. The patient groups will say they think it's a great idea to
keep clinical trials data secret. Why would they do that? They would do
that because they are fronts for the pharmaceutical industry.

"Patient groups get traction because they are assumed to represent the
voice of the suffering. But industry uses them to say we're not going to
get innovative medicines if the industry is deterred from investing by
having to be transparent about their clinical trials," he added.

A recent review of medical research estimated that only half of all
clinical trials were published in full, and that positive results were
twice as likely to be published than negative ones.

A source in the European parliament, who is close to the negotiations
over the clinical trials directive, said he had experienced intense
lobbying from patient groups. "We've witnessed this sort of activity in
recent months, and it's a concern if the pharmaceutical industry is
behind some of it. They are trying to weaken some of the transparency
proposals and that's clear from the amount of lobbying we've had," he said.

The patient groups focus on the concern that if companies release all of
their clinical trials data, the information might be misconstrued, or
intentionally cherry-picked, and spark damaging health scares around
certain drugs or vaccines.

"These aren't completely unfounded concerns, but the risk already
exists, and those things already happen. The answer is to have a
responsible scientific community that can counteract the allegations and
claims," the source said.

Two other strands of the campaign include discussions with scientific
associations about the risks of data sharing, and work with other
businesses that are concerned about the release of trade secrets and
confidential data. The final strand calls, in the long term, for a
network of academics across Europe that can be called on to correct
false interpretations of the data. "That is deemed to be happening in
any case," the memo concedes.

something we are doing. One of the reasons we're involved in this is we
want more companies to move towards greater transparency. I don't think
it's for us to be mobilising patient groups to campaign on a negative
level."

A Roche spokesperson said the company consulted patient groups to
understand their concerns about clinical trials, but "to our knowledge
Roche has not been involved in any EFPIA's potential activity in
mobilising patient groups to express concern about the risk to public
health by non-scientific re-use of data".

A Lilly spokesman said: "Lilly is committed to working with Europe-based
patient advocacy organisations for the benefit of patients in a way that
is true to the EFPIA code of practice and Lilly's integrity in business
policy."

Individuals who received the memo at several other companies, including
AstraZeneca and Novartis, did not respond.

Tracey Brown, director of the campaign group, Sense about Science, and
co-founder of AllTrials, a campaign to get all clinical trials
registered and all results reported, said: "We now have the prospect of
really significant developments to end the secrecy and make clinical
trial reporting a practical reality and, finally, some sound commitments
from parts of industry.

"In this context, the industry associations' strategy to get others to
raise further spurious problems is backward. It should embarrass anyone
associated with it. I would say to the individual companies that they
should publicly distance themselves from any association with EFPIA and
PhRMA's strategy now," she said.

The EFPIA told the Guardian it had been working with PhRMA on a
"commitment to enhance sharing of clinical data" to researchers and the
public, and intended to make an announcement this week.

"Knowing that some people want all data to be made available to
everyone, EFPIA is engaging with stakeholders to share concerns with
harmful 're-use' of data. We will engage not only with patient groups,
but also with the scientific community," it said.

Matt Bennett, senior vice-president of PhRMA, said in a statement:
"EMA's proposed policies on clinical trial information raise numerous
concerns for patients. We believe it is important to engage with all
stakeholders in the clinical trial ecosystem, including the patients who
volunteer to participate in clinical trials, about the issue.

"If enacted, the proposals could risk patient privacy, lead to fewer
clinical trials, and result in fewer new medicines to meet patient needs
and improve health."

--
WARNING: The National Security Agency is likely recording and storing
this communication as part of its unlawful spying programs on all