[Ip-health] Do Pharmaceutical Firms Invest More Heavily in Countries with Data Exclusivity?"

Biotech. Info. Inst. biotech at biopharma.com
Thu May 9 09:49:23 PDT 2013

Yes, the 2013 administration budget proposal cites $4 billion in savings over 10 years for federal pharmaceutical expenditures from shortening U.S. data exclusivity from 12 to 10 years.  $.4 billion/year is not all that much considering over 100 current products with a current U.S. market about $60 billion, including >40 current blockbusters (>$1 billion/year worldwide revenue), will be coming off-patent with biosimilars entering the U.S. market by the end of the decade.  If  $400 million/year savings is spread out over just 20 products affected by this data exclusivity change, that's a an average savings of $20 million/year/product.  In this context, the $4 billion/decade savings could even be low.

But my data shows that patents almost always determine U.S. biosimilar marketability.  So where does this study come up with any savings from shortening the U.S. data exclusivity period?  It would be interesting to know what products data exclusivity shortening promoters and lobbyists presume would get into the market sooner, if U.S. data exclusivity were shortened, and how patent expirations were calculated.  As with nearly all biosimilar-related patent expiration studies, did the one used simplistically just look at composition-of-matter (sequence) patents, and as I've reported concerning nearly all such published data, ignore:  patent extensions; licensed patents, particularly exclusively exclusively licensed patents; and other types of patents, including key use/indications, bioprocessing, formulation, reference standards, etc. patents (as my analysis included)?  I suspect so, since essentially all published data have ignored these aspects.

To address the question posed by the subject of this thread:  At least in the U.S. and with biopharmaceuticals, I expect data exclusivity to not have any significant impact.  In fact, it is rather irrelevant.  I realize that this is not welcome news for most members of this list, and I welcome learning of conflicting studies.

Thank you.

Ronald A. Rader
President
Biotechnology Information Institute this
1700 Rockville Pike, Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone:  301-424-0255
E-mail:  biotech at biopharma.com