[Ip-health] Do Pharmaceutical Firms Invest More Heavily in Countries with Data Exclusivity?"

Biotech. Info. Inst. biotech at biopharma.com
Thu May 16 10:07:01 PDT 2013

I am just reporting quantitative data, which happen to show that shortening data exclusivities for U.S. biologics will have negligible impact on improving access to biosimilars.  As such, I am the bearer of unwelcome news, particularly, for those strongly opposed to pharmaceutical exclusivities/monopolies of any type.  As you note, my reporting did not include commentary regarding whether patents or biopharmaceutical products are good or bad, cause HARM or not, cost too much, etc., which appears to be an ethical lapse on my part from your perspective.

But other than finding data exclusivity lacking in utility, don't my findings support your presumptions and world view?  Why not consider my findings as evidence fully supporting views that biopharmaceutical patents are bad for society; preventing access to biosimilars, competition and cheaper products?   Here, inherently monopolistic patents are even acting against the will-of-the-people - eliminating the utility of the biologics data exclusivity periods intended by Congress to hasten access to biosimilars.

Otherwise, so far, here and in other, mostly biopharmaceutical industry, venues where I've reported my preliminary findings, not a single person has questioned the veracity of my data or conclusions.  I welcome anyone with similar or contrary data contacting me, including pointing out any currently marketed biopharmaceuticals where relevant U.S. patents expire before regulatory approval-conferred exclusivities.

Thank you.

Ronald A. Rader
President / Author & Publisher of BIOPHARMA:  Biopharmaceutical Products in the U.S. and European Markets
Biotechnology Information Institute
1700 Rockville Pike, Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20852
Phone:  301-424-0255