[Ip-health] Multi billion dollar Hep C drugs may force compulsory licensed generics. UN Report on HCV Drug Access

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Fri May 31 06:49:59 PDT 2013

Compulsory licensing for hepatitis medicines may well be a very important
idea for increasing access to over-priced medicines that are unaffordable
in low- and middle-income countries (and excessively priced even for
upper-income countries).  However, it is disappointing that the article
and the underlying study suggest that compulsory licenses would only be
available in emergency circumstances.  Article 31 of the TRIPS Agreement
allows countries total independence to determine allowable grounds for
compulsory licenses and that Doha Declaration on the TRIPS Agreement and
Public Health went to considerable length to clarify that flexibility.
Admittedly, expedited procedures bypassing the need for prior negotiation
apply to compulsory licenses issued to address emergencies or other
matters of extreme urgency, but we should be long past the point where
compulsory licenses are discussed as applying to emergency circumstances
only.

Professor Brook K. Baker
Northeastern U. School of Law
Affiliate, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
Senior Policy Analyst Health GAP (Global Access Project)
Alternate NGOs Board Member UNITAID
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056