[Ip-health] Survey: US Health Agency Should Use Patent Rights To Keep Drugs Affordable

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Wed Sep 4 10:23:01 PDT 2013

Ronald Rader,

If the NIH funds the R&D for a new drug, it seems both unreasonable and
appalling to me that US consumers would pay more for that drug than is
charged in other high income countries.  I personally don't think that
extends to prices in lower income countries, where I hope that prices are
lower.  The Survey responses show that a very large proporiation of the
public shares our view, as regards pricing of NIH funded drugs in high
income countries.

If the US imposes reference pricing oblgiations on NIH funded drugs, it
would be easy to administer, and not require anything in particular as
regards foreign prices, but it would protect US consumers from paying more,
when they have already subdizied the development of the R&D, *AND* have
rights in the patented inventions.     I believe this set of facts applies
to about 7 percent of FDA approved drugs, over the past five years, so it
is not going to solve all problems as regards drug pricing, but it will
impact one significant and important set of drugs.

You can create all sorts of other policy questions to vet or survey, of
course.  But this is one that we are focusing on right now.

Jamie