[Ip-health] Survey: US Health Agency Should Use Patent Rights To Keep Drugs Affordable

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Wed Sep 4 13:38:55 PDT 2013

Ronald Rader,  since the 1990s, there is almost a news blackout on the
pricing of NIH funded drugs.  I think our recent survey is the only thing I
have seen on the topic that involves polling.

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Biotech. Info. Inst.
<biotech at biopharma.com>wrote:

> Most everyone reading this likely has strong opinions on the these topics.
>  My questions, like the topic, concerned what is the state of U.S. general
> public knowledge and opinion.
>
> So, are there any recent survey, polling or other data concerning U.S.
> public (or health care professionals') knowledge and attitudes towards NIH
> pharmaceutical product-related patent licensing, related 'reasonable
> pricing' issues, etc.?"  I vaguely recall there were some such data way
> back (in the early-mid 1990s?) when 'reasonable pricing' for
> pharmaceuticals resulting from NIH CRADAs was a hot topic.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ronald A. Rader
> President
> Biotechnology Information Institute
> 1700 Rockville Pike, Suite 400
> Rockville, MD 20852
> Phone:  301-424-0255
> E-mail:  biotech at biopharma.com
> Web sites:  www.biopharma.com; www.bioinfo.com
>

> On Sep 4, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Jamie Love <james.love at keionline.org> wrote:
>
> Ronald Rader,
>
> If the NIH funds the R&D for a new drug, it seems both unreasonable and
> appalling to me that US consumers would pay more for that drug than is
> charged in other high income countries.  I personally don't think that
> extends to prices in lower income countries, where I hope that prices are
> lower.  The Survey responses show that a very large proporiation of the
> public shares our view, as regards pricing of NIH funded drugs in high
> income countries.
>
> If the US imposes reference pricing oblgiations on NIH funded drugs, it
> would be easy to administer, and not require anything in particular as
> regards foreign prices, but it would protect US consumers from paying more,
> when they have already subdizied the development of the R&D, *AND* have
> rights in the patented inventions.     I believe this set of facts applies
> to about 7 percent of FDA approved drugs, over the past five years, so it
> is not going to solve all problems as regards drug pricing, but it will
> impact one significant and important set of drugs.
>
> You can create all sorts of other policy questions to vet or survey, of
> course.  But this is one that we are focusing on right now.
>
> Jamie

http://www.keionline.org, KEI DC tel: +1.202.332.2670, US Mobile:
+1.202.361.3040, Geneva Mobile: +41.76.413.6584,   twitter.com/jamie_love