[Ip-health] Survey: US Health Agency Should Use Patent Rights To Keep Drugs Affordable

Biotech. Info. Inst. biotech at biopharma.com
Thu Sep 5 10:30:27 PDT 2013

Yes, the subject itself, 'reasonable pricing' for NIH licensed pharmaceutical products, and related controversies seem to have largely faded away.  Since the 1990s, it seems that there have been fewer and less significant pharmaceutical products directly enabled by or highly dependent on NIH patents (and CRADAs) -- less impact to be concerned about.  This includes fewer (seemingly no) new blockbusters, and fewer (seemingly no) pharmaceuticals that are the only or best treatments available for high profile diseases (unlike multiple NIH-licensed HIV drugs in the past).  Plus, many of those seeking pharmaceutical IP-related reforms, as reflected in this group, have seemingly turned their attention to India and other developing countries, where the problems are much greater, and with these countries' IP regulations less sophisticated and set in their ways, activists can have more of an impact.  Other controversies, such as Myriad/gene/diagnostic patents, have gotten much of the recent attention of those in the U.S.

And with NIH patents of interest mostly involving biotech/biopharmaceuticals vs. drugs/chemical substances, the nature of patents in this area has evolved, with it now more difficult to get as broad patents as were issued in the past.   [Yes, the pharmaceutical industry whines and complains about this, but that does not make my observation untrue or me a lackey of Big Pharma].

Thank you.

Ronald A. Rader
President
Biotechnology Information Institute