[Ip-health] MSF responds to UK Global Fund contribution announcement at MDG Summit

Joanna Keenan-Siciliano joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 11:39:09 PDT 2013

Response by Médecins Sans Frontières to the UK government's £1 billion
pledge to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria for the next three
years, which is contingent on other donors committing $15 billion in total.

http://www.msfaccess.org/content/msf-responds-uk-global-fund-contribution-mdg-summit

"The UK government is challenging the international donor community to put
its money where its mouth is. If the challenge is met, it will go a long
way towards furthering the progress made over the past ten years in the
fight against the three pandemic killers. Donors – including Germany,
Australia, and the European Commission – must now step up to the plate to
commit to providing full financial support to the Global Fund for the next
three years.

We now know that ramping up treatment of HIV not only saves millions of
lives, but also helps prevent the virus from spreading, just as we now have
important new tools to finally start seriously tackling the drug-resistant
TB epidemic which is spiralling out of control -- now is the time to
redouble our efforts. With only one in five people estimated to be in need
of drug-resistant tuberculosis treatment actually receiving it, more
countries must step up their contribution to the Global Fund and to funding
DR-TB, if we are to close this deadly gap."

- Sharonann Lynch, HIV & TB Policy Advisor
Médecins Sans Frontières Access Campaign

*Joanna Keenan*
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: twitter.com/joanna_keenan