[Ip-health] NYT's Friedman on NIH: "crown jewel of American biotech innovation, " describes public contributions to R&D

Peter Maybarduk pmaybarduk at citizen.org
Fri Sep 27 13:16:30 PDT 2013

Tom Friedman's op-ed this week on the "idiotic sequester" spotlights the role of the public US National Institutes of Health in biomedical innovation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/opinion/friedman-the-way-we-were.html?ref=thomaslfriedman&_r=0

"America's biomedical ecosystem depends heavily on the N.I.H. doing basic research the private sector won't do. So we're cutting the medical research that has the potential to prevent and cure the very diseases that are driving health care costs upward."