[Ip-health] Priority Review Voucher

Outterson, Kevin mko at bu.edu
Wed Aug 6 06:40:36 PDT 2014

It is good to ask these questions about the cost of incentives like PRVs. If it just lengthens the queue for everyone else, the costs are hidden and very significant. If the PRV fees shortens the queue overall, then why not just raise the user fees in any event?

Do we have estimates on the "efficiency" of PRVs? By that, I mean the gap between the net payments to the company awarded the PRV (here, $67.5m less the costs of applying and selling the voucher, which might have been significant) and the actual realized value to the company purchasing the voucher (unknown at present, but perhaps closer to the original estimates of $300m?). Assuming these numbers, the PRV is not very efficient in that most of the value didn't flow to the company with the qualifying registration.

Kevin Outterson
Professor of Law & N. Neal Pike Scholar in Health and Disability Law - Boston University
Visiting Fellow, Chatham House
Editor in Chief, Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics
Blogging health law at The Incidental Economist
Research papers at SSRN & Google Scholar
@koutterson