[Ip-health] Business Standard: Govt set to revise patent norms for pharma

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:41:34 PDT 2014

The new revised draft guidelines can be found at:  http://www.ipindia.nic.in/iponew/draft_Pharma_Guidelines_12August2014.pdf

They are a revision of an earlier 2014 draft found at:  http://ipindia.nic.in/iponew/Guidelines_Pharma_PatentApplication_28February2014.pdf

I haven't examined them closely to see what's changed, but I hope they are well designed to reduce the number of unwarranted secondary patents being granted by the India Patent Office.  Earlier studies have found that examiners are not routinely interpreting patentability criteria, including section 3(d), to weed out unworthy pharmaceutical patents, and the numbers of pharmaceutical product patents granted, as detailed in the article, are far in excess of the number of new chemical entity products introduced each year.

Argentina has issued stringent guidelines for examining pharmaceutical patents, which are reportedly presently being challenge by Big Pharma.  Hopefully, more and more countries will begin to enact and apply stringent standards to reduce barriers to generic versions of life-saving medicines.

Brook
Professor Brook K. Baker
Health GAP (Global Access Project) &
Northeastern U. School of Law, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
Honorary Research Fellow, Faculty of Law, Univ. of KwaZulu Natal, SA
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
(w) 617-373-3217
(c) 617-259-0760