[Ip-health] Business Standard: Govt set to revise patent norms for pharma

Nehaa Chaudhari nehaa at cis-india.org
Fri Aug 22 09:52:10 PDT 2014

Not binding law. For the purposes of achieving uniformity and
standardization across patent offices in the country. Internal guide for
patent examiners more than anything else, and therefore a guide to those
who file patent claims on what the patent examiners are going by.
Possibly also to explain some terms.

Sometime last year, the Indian Patent Office (IPO) also released
Guidelines to determine the patentability of Computer Related Inventions
and had consultations around this issues, that were attended by the
Controller as well as Deputy Controllers of Patents in India.

Similar questions were raised on the validity and the impact of these
guidelines.  In response, the IPO said that these guidelines were just
guidelines and not binding law. They said that examination of patents
would be done on the basis of these guidelines, and this was something
that parties could bear in mind while drafting and filing their claims.
The guidelines were also intended to achieve uniformity in the process
of adjudication across the patent offices in the country. It was felt
after some observation that different patent offices in the country
adopted differential standards while granting/rejecting patent claims
and the IPO wanted to bring about some uniformity and standardization.
They made it very clear that no one could challenge a decision of the
IPO on the basis of something mentioned in the guidelines. The
guidelines were also aimed at bringing about some clarity on some of the
technical aspects of patenting computer related inventions- some terms
were sought to be explained/defined.

As far as I know, the situation will be similar in the case of the
present guidelines.

Nehaa Chaudhari
The Centre for Internet and Society
No. 194, Second 'C' Cross