[Ip-health] MSF Letter to Indian government - IP negotiations in the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP)

Shailly Gupta shailly.gupta at geneva.msf.org
Mon Aug 25 06:09:50 PDT 2014

Ahead of the RCEP Ministerial Conference to be held in Myanmar on 27-28
August 2014, see letter from Medecins Sans Frontieres addressed to the
Indian Minister of State for Commerce & Industry regarding the inclusion of
intellectual property (IP) in the negotiations of the Regional Comprehensive
Economic Partnership (RCEP) and its potential impact on access to affordable
generic medicines from India.

http://msfaccess.org/content/msf-letter-indian-government-ip-negotiations-re
gional-comprehensive-economic-partnership

The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) is a proposed  free
trade agreement (FTA) between the ten member states of the Association of
South East Nations  (ASEAN) and the six states with which ASEAN has existing
FTAs - Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea and New Zealand. RCEP
negotiations were formally launched in November 2012 at the ASEAN Summit in
Cambodia. Till now there have been five rounds of negotiations.

As negotiations on RCEP gain momentum in the coming year, we urge the Indian
Ministry of Commerce to monitor 'very closely' the RCEP negotiations on IP
and to make sure the terms of any trade agreement reached 'do not impede
free trade in generic medicines' that we and so many in the developing world
rely upon.

Shailly Gupta

Advocacy & Communication Officer

MSF Access Campaign