[Ip-health] Silicon India: U.S. Urges India To Look Beyond IPR In Affordable Healthcare

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Mon Dec 1 00:00:47 PST 2014

<SNIP>
"There is a lot that goes into access to affordable healthcare beyond
intellectual property rights, beyond patents, beyond compulsory licenses,"
U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said after a meeting of the
India-U.S. Trade Policy Forum (TPF) here.

--
http://www.siliconindia.com/news/general/US-Urges-India-To-Look-Beyond-IPR-In-Affordable-Healthcare-nid-175719-cid-1.html

U.S. Urges India To Look Beyond IPR In Affordable Healthcare
Wednesday, 26 November 2014, 02:34 Hrs

NEW DELHI: India was urged by the U.S. to look beyond intellectual property
rights (IPR) and compulsory licensing in affordable healthcare, and to
address concerns like tariff reduction, distribution of medicines and
insurance coverage.

"There is a lot that goes into access to affordable healthcare beyond
intellectual property rights, beyond patents, beyond compulsory licenses,"
U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said after a meeting of the
India-U.S. Trade Policy Forum (TPF) here.

"Issue of access to affordable medicine is not just IPR. We did discuss IPR
in broad terms. On some of the more challenging issues like
pharmaceuticals, we need to take a broad-based view of access to affordable
healthcare and promotion of innovation," he added.

The TPF meeting, held after more than four years, was chaired by Commerce
Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.

"Patents, copyright, trade secrets. Piracy, counterfeiting, compulsory
licensing. These are challenging issues, but dealing with them directly is
critical if India is to play a leadership role in the knowledge economy.
And in that regard, we have great interest in the ongoing review of India's
Intellectual Property Rights Policy," Froman said.

As part of its annual Special 301 report, the US has kept India in its
"Priority Watch List" for having an allegedly weak IPR regime.

The TPF was preceded by the first meeting Monday of the working group on
intellectual property rights.

Tuesday's meeting was also attended by commerce secretary Rajeev Kher,
secretary in the department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP)
Amitabh Kant, additional secretary commerce J.S. Deepak and DIPP joint
secretary D.V. Prasad, among others.

"It was a very good meeting. They have understood our position. The
dialogue will continue. It's not that the dialogue will take place after
four years gap, it will be more often. We have expressed all concerns and
addressed their issues," Kher said.

According to the joint statement issued after the meeting, the commerce
minister briefed the US trade representative on India's work on a new
intellectual property rights (IPR) policy which would stimulate innovation
across sectors in the country.

India also sought greater access for traditional Indian medicine keeping in
view the need for affordable healthcare.

India also raised the issue of expanding the scope of professional visas
such as the H1-B and L1 for easier access to US by Indian professionals.

Moreover, India urged the US to expedite the social security totalisation
agreement for the Indian professionals based out of America, the statement
added.

Both sides have set a target of achieving $500 billion worth of trade in
goods and services from the current $100 billion.