[Ip-health] Patent approval linkage and bio-medicine

Biotech. Info. Inst. biotech at biopharma.com
Tue Dec 2 05:22:15 PST 2014

As I read this, it does not apply to U.S.-approved biologics (BLAs), since there is no notification of the approving authority (FDA) regarding product/agent-related patent terms (no Orange Book-like reporting of patents claimed to cover biologics).

Even U.S. patent extensions based on time in clinical trials are presumably irrelevant, with the approving authority here being the patent office, which as part of the process obtains confirmation of dates from FDA (as I recall).

Also, biosimilar BPCIA-designated patent disclosures do not involve FDA as an approving or even as an informed authority, with patent information only exchanged between the biosimilar applicants and reference product companies.

But this would apply to products approved by FDA as drugs (NDAs), products covered by the Orange Book.

Does the term “pharmaceutical product” here include medical devices?

Ronald A. Rader
President
Biotechnology Information Institute
1700 Rockville Pike, Suite 400