[Ip-health] Hindu Business Line: Gilead, local generic players in talks to bring hepatitis C drug into India

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Tue Feb 4 07:07:58 PST 2014

If the intended territorial scope of licenses is only 60 countries, it
will be far less than what Gilead first offered through it voluntary
licenses for ARVs and much more limited than the licensed territory
negotiated with the Medicines Patent Pool.  Moreover, if the territories
are limited to sub-Saharan Africa, India, and low-income countries, it
will miss key countries with with very high HEP C burdens, e.g., Egypt.

In addition, there is a certain cynicism in Gilead seeking voluntary
licenses with a select number of preferred supplier in India, especially
since the underlying patent is facing a fierce opposition by I-MAK.  In
its initial ARV voluntary licenses, Gilead tried to restrict licensee
challenges to its IP - a clause that was per se anti-competitive under
several the law of multiple nations.  Although it seems doubtful that
Gilead would try to impose such a clause again, it is possible that it's
preferential voluntary licenses will undermine generic oppositions.
However, even if the opposition in India is successful, it will not
directly address sofosbuvir's patent status in other countries.

In addition, the initial price of $2000, though welcome compared to
extortionate pricing in the U.S., is still far too high.  Reports on
projected costs of production indicate that a much lower selling price is
possible and it will only be robust generic competition that produces such
a result.  Accordingly, Gilead should issue licenses to all qualified
generic producers who can manufacturer bioequalivalent sofosbuvir to
global Good Manufacturing Practices standards.

Gilead should also describe its efforts to help ensure registration of
generic equivalents, preferably by first registering the product itself
and then allowing reference/reliance on such registration by its generic
licensees.

Professor Brook K. Baker
Northeastern U. School of Law
Affiliate, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
Senior Policy Analyst Health GAP (Global Access Project)
Alternate NGOs Board Member UNITAID
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056