[Ip-health] Hindu Business Line: Gilead, local generic players in talks to bring hepatitis C drug into India

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Thu Feb 6 06:10:56 PST 2014

The Gross National Income (GNI) per capita for USA and India were $50120
and $1530 in 2012.   So the Gilead prices come out at a ratio of 1.67 for
USA, and 1.31 for India.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:16 AM, Shailly Gupta
<shailly.gupta at geneva.msf.org>wrote:

> Gilead contemplating of pegging the Sofosbuvir price at 2000$ in India.
> Also it seems like that they plan to sign VLs with more than one generic
> company here and the drug would be made available to 60 countries. See the
> news report below.
>
> Best
>
> Shailly
>

> Gilead, local generic players in talks to bring hepatitis C drug into India
>

> PT JYOTHI DATTA
>

> http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/companies/gilead-local-generic-players-in-talks-to-bring-hepatitis-c-drug-into-india/article5649841.ece
>
> Price to be pegged lower than the current standard of care, estimated at
> $2,500 for six months
>
> MUMBAI, FEBRUARY 3:
>
> California-based drug-maker Gilead Sciences Inc is in discussions with a
> handful of local pharmaceutical companies to bring its much anticipated
> oral Hepatitis C drug Sovaldi (sofosbuvir) into India.
>
> “We are going to give licence to Indian companies, so there will be Indian
> production of our hepatitis C product. We are in discussions right now. We
> hope to announce those in the next couple of months,” Gregg H Alton,
> Gilead’s Executive Vice- President, Corporate and Medical Affairs, told
> Business Line.
>
> Gilead’s move comes at a time when the patent on sofosbuvir is being
> contested at the Kolkata patent office. The opposition was filed late last
> year by US-based legal group I-MAK (Initiative for Medicines, Access &
> Knowledge).
>
> On how the drug would be priced, Alton said the imported and locally-made
> versions would be pegged lower than the current standard of care with
> existing generic products, estimated at $2,500 (around ₹1.5 lakh) for six
> months.
>
> Gilead proposes to peg its imported branded product at about $2,000, he
> indicated, adding discussions were under way with patient-groups before the
> price is finalised. “We’ll be substantially less than that (current
> standards of care), and we’ll be more effective, less toxic and easier to
> use and without side-effects… We leave it up to the Indian companies to
> bring the price down – should they choose to do that,” he added.
>
> You need three or more companies to compete against each other to truly
> get the cost down, and “so, we’ll be working probably with three-to-five
> different companies”, he said. In the US, Gilead’s drug is priced at
> $84,000 for 12 weeks.
>
> Gilead’s soon-to-be sealed deal will include royalty payments and cover
> about 60 low and middle-income countries, he said, adding details were
> discussed during their latest visit to India.
>
> Without getting into details on the patent case, Alton said: “We will
> defend the patents, but at the same time, we are going to be pushing very
> hard to enable generic production in India with multiple companies.”
>
> By traditional timelines, it would take at least two years before the
> [...]

http://www.keionline.org, KEI DC tel: +1.202.332.2670, US Mobile:
+1.202.361.3040, Geneva Mobile: +41.76.413.6584,   twitter.com/jamie_love