[Ip-health] Job vacancy
mkamalyanni at Oxfam.org.uk
Fri Feb 7 07:55:14 PST 2014
Job Title: Programme Coordinator ? Access to Medicines
Department: Policy, Research and Campaigns
Location: New Delhi
Level / Pay Band: L-3
Contract: 2 years (renewable)
Reports To: Lead Specialist ? Essential Services
Oxfam has a long history of engaging governments, pharmaceutical
companies, multi-lateral organizations, donors and other private sector
actors on ensuring access to affordable medicines. We are now looking to
fill a key position within the access to medicines team to work with a
global team to promote access to affordable medicines, with a strong focus
on pricing and Intellectual Property, while also working with civil
society and other stakeholders in India.
The purpose of this new role is to develop and implement advocacy
strategies that promote access to medicines, by ensuring that intellectual
property rules do not obstruct the ability of countries to improve the
affordability of medicines while promoting innovation of medicines that
best meets the needs of people living in poverty. The incumbent will work
both with the global access to medicines team and with Oxfam staff and
partners in India on these issues. The person will also coordinate with
other staff across Oxfam who focus on improving access to health care
through increased financing and effective health systems development.
The incumbent is expected to dedicate 50 percent of his or her time on
access to medicines issues in India, and 50 percent of his or her time
engaging on global access to medicines issues.
Scope of Position:
? In depth expertise in access to medicines especially Intellectual
Property and pricing aspects, ability to advise colleagues at senior level
and design workable solutions to complex problems
? Undertake analysis leading to design of Oxfam?s intellectual property
and access to medicines work
? Develops Oxfam?s understanding of, and advocacy strategies for,
intellectual property, innovation and access to medicines issues in India
and globally, including through developing or commissioning and managing
? Builds, manages and influences relationships across the Oxfam
Confederation to deliver agreed outcomes
? Builds, manages and influences relationships with key global adn
regional organizations, governments (including trade, health and patent
ministries or offices),, and pharmaceutical companies, both in India and
? Ability to work on own initiative to anticipate and plan work
? Assimilates and processes complex information, identifies trends and
recommends plans and actions
? Ability to fundraise for access to medicines campaign nationally and
1. Coordinate policy analysis and policy priorities of Oxfam staff working
on access to medicines focusing on Intellectual Property globally, in
India and in different countries.
2. Develop and implement advocacy strategies designed to influence the
policies and practices of governments, pharmaceutical companies and
multilateral organizations, in order to ensure that their intellectual
property and health policies promote pro-poor innovation and access to
3. Maintain a high level of expertise on key access and innovation issues,
especially intellectual property rules, free trade agreements, new
approaches to research and development, pharmaceutical companies,
including Indian generics, multi-lateral arrangements that affect medicine
prices and pharmaceutical industry approaches to access to medicines.
4. Work closely with Oxfam India staff and key civil society groups to
ensure on-going low-cost production of affordable medicines in India, as
well as investments in innovation.
5. Participate in Oxfam?s Essential Services campaign team, in India and
internationally, providing access to medicines-focused research, policy
analysis and lobbying strategies.
6. Build key alliances with civil society organizations and actively
participate in NGO networks and advocacy alliances on intellectual
property and access to medicines issues, in India and internationally.
7. Engage pharmaceutical companies, including Indian generics, to promote
access to medicines and pro-poor innovation.
8. Represent Oxfam at meetings and conferences on intellectual property
and access to medicines issues, give media interviews and speak publicly.
9. Write briefing papers, media briefs, articles for publication,
speeches, lobbying letters and various plans.
Qualifications and Experience:
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
1. In depth knowledge of intellectual property laws and policies in
relation to pharmaceuticals, including in free trade agreements
2. Excellent knowledge of existing and new approaches to research and
development in medicines and other issues related to access to medicines
3. Good knowledge of public health and in particular the public health
challenges facing low- and middle-income countries across the developing
4. Positive track record in advocacy, policy and research, particularly
with regard to intellectual property rules
5. Strong conceptual and analytical and synthesis skills, and ability to
think strategically and creatively.
6. Excellent communication skills for lobbying and media work, and
awareness of political sensitivities.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Demonstrable understanding of gender and diversity issues.
9. Ability to prioritize, plan, organize work in a complex institutional
10. Strong inter-personal skills, and ability to work well and flexibly in
hard-working teams, while also able to take initiative and work under
pressure with limited supervision.
11. Experience working with diverse international alliances and
12. Team player
13. Fluency in English is required. Competence in Hindi, as well as French
or Spanish is desirable.
14. Post graduate degree in law or public health or equivalent experience
Relocation: During the course of employment the post holder may be
required to move base on a temporary or permanent basis to any workplace
controlled by Oxfam India
Travel: The Program Coordinator would be required to travel in India and
abroad to support partners, contribute to the design, monitoring and
evaluation of campaigns, projects and programs and undertake Oxfam
alignment activities as required. It is a condition of employment that
staff abides by Oxfam India security and safety protocols, policies and
1. All applications should be sent to vacancies at oxfamindia.org
2. All applicants to put ?Ref. Programme Coordinator - Access to Medicine
- New Delhi? as the subject line
3. All applications should have the covering letter and the CV as a single
document, in a word format.
4. The deadline for receiving applications is 17th February 2014
5. Applications without the exact reference code will not be considered.
6. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
7. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be
Best wishes for more Sane, Just and Peaceful world in 2014
Dr. Mohga M Kamal-Yanni
Senior health & HIV policy advisor, Oxfam GB
John Smith Drive, Oxford, OX4 2JY, UK
UK Mobile + 44 (0)777 62 55 884
Follow me @MohgaKamalYanni
Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
Oxfam GB is a member of Oxfam International and a company limited by guarantee registered in England No. 612172.
Registered office: Oxfam House, John Smith Drive, Cowley, Oxford, OX4 2JY.
A registered charity in England and Wales (no 202918) and Scotland (SC 039042)
More information about the Ip-health