[Ip-health] BMJ: More drugs originate outside the industry than it claims

Biotech. Info. Inst. biotech at biopharma.com
Mon Feb 24 09:18:17 PST 2014

I see no contradictions:  Research-intensive organizations do the great majority of the origination (research, discovery and invention); pharmaceutical companies do essentially all commercial development (as claimed by ABPI here — "industry
was responsible for developing 90% of the drugs available to patients").  [Note, I have been unable to access the full article].

The reported data show industry (companies of all sizes) as the origination source for 76% of products.  If funding sources (and related patents and ownership) were considered, a claim of 90% origination from industry (but not Big Pharma-type) sources would likely not be off by much, and could even be accurate.  Any views from list members on how consideration of funding/sponsorship would affect the results?

To me, 49% origination (discovery, invention) of new approved drugs from Big Pharma-type companies seems too high (I’d guess ≥40%), while the figure would be much higher, well over 50%, if funding sources/licensing/ownership were taken into account, including pharmaceuticals from some or many of the smaller companies and, likely, a few academic sources.

[Does this analysis, like CDER/FDA’s own and most other analyses of FDA annual approvals, ignore most biologics approvals (making them worthless or misleading, which most people don’t realize)), i.e., only count recombinant and maybe other pure protein products (CDER approvals), while omitting/ignoring most classic biologics (CBER approvals), particularly, non-recombinant vaccines, blood and plasma products, cultured cells/tissues, etc.?  Keep in mind that the great majority of U.S. approvals analyses are like those released by FDA itself, i.e., simply omit most CBER-approved biologics, particularly when considering new molecular entities.  For a running list of new U.S. biopharmaceutical approvals see www.biopharma.com/approvals.html].

Thank you.

Ronald A. Rader
President
Biotechnology Information Institute