[Ip-health] Mylan is now Gilead's branded medicine partner in India - news report - Hindu Business line

leena menghaney leenamenghaney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 22:54:16 PST 2014

MUMBAI, JAN 31:

Gilead Sciences has expanded its alliance with fellow-multinational Mylan,
by naming Mylan's Indian subsidiary as its exclusive branded medicine
partner for India.

Mylan will market and distribute in India some of Gilead's medications, a
note from Gilead said.

The medications include: HIV therapies Viread{+ }(tenofovir disoproxil
fumarate), Truvada (emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) and the
newer single tablet regimen Stribild (elvitegravir 150 mg/cobicistat 150
mg/emtricitabine 200 mg/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300 mg).

The agreement also covers AmBisome{+ }(amphotericin B liposome for
injection), a treatment for life-threatening, systemic fungal infections,
which is also used to treat the parasitic disease visceral leishmaniasis.

In addition to this, there is also Viread{+ }for its indication as a
treatment for chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, the note said.

Gilead had partnered with Mylan since 2006, granting the company rights to
manufacture and sell its own generic versions of licensed Gilead HIV
therapies in India and up to 111 developing world countries where the HIV
epidemic affects millions of individuals. Mylan will continue to maintain
these rights, in addition to those in this new agreement.

"The appointment of Mylan as our branded medicine business partner in India
is a result of their strong knowledge of the Indian healthcare system and
demonstrated capabilities of supporting and distributing antiretroviral
therapies," said Gregg H. Alton, Gilead's Executive Vice-President of
Corporate and Medical Affairs.

"We have established an excellent working relationship with Mylan over the
past few years, and believe that this expanded partnership will allow the
company to best serve the needs of patients in India."

Mylan Chief Executive Officer Heather Bresch said, "This further extension
of our collaboration with Gilead builds off of our existing successful
partnership manufacturing and supplying high-quality, cost-effective
generic antiretroviral therapy for those in resource challenged countries,
delivering on our mission of providing access to high quality medicine to
the world's seven billion people."

In addition to distributing branded Gilead medicines, Mylan will manage
regulatory and pharmaco-vigilance activities (such as adverse event
reporting) as well as broader medical education initiatives.

jyothi.datta at thehindu.co.in
(This article was published on January 31, 2014)
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/companies/mylan-is-now-gileads-branded-medicine-partner-in-india/article5638274.ece

Leena Menghaney
K-30 Jangpura ExtensionNew Delhi - 110014
Ph: +91-11-41823783/84
Mobile: 9811365412