[Ip-health] TREAT Asia/amfAR, APN+ and ANPUD releases fact sheet on 2014 WHO hepatitis C guidelines.

George Carter fiar at verizon.net
Wed Jul 2 03:29:20 PDT 2014

Thanks Giten for sharing that but as a person living with hep C and who has friends in Asia living with it, this is depressing.

This document is depressing. While the first bits about assessing alcohol use and disease stage are common sense, the treatment page is pretty much an antediluvian joke of horrible treatment recommendations.

Of course, there is no mention of how micronutrient therapy and judicious use of botanicals can slow disease progression. However, we ALSO have CURES AVAILABLE. Sofosbuvir and daclatasvir can pretty much cure anyone, any genotype.

Why isn't AmFAR doing something actually useful like assessing the identity, potency and purity of generic sofosbuvir? Or are they so in the pocket of pharma that the best they'd offer is the second rate, ineffective (or at best marginally effective) horrifically toxic, long-term nightmare of PEG-IFN and ribavirin? And not to anyone who can't afford the drugs, let alone the syringes?

Whereas the new Directly Acting Antivirals (DAAs) can be made for maybe $400/patient (maybe less at a 4- or 8-week treatment period)?

So we get a nice pat, presentable, agreeable and useless regurgitation of crap that further delays and denies the possibility of discussing the public health issue of curing and eliminating a dangerous global pandemic in order to pander to greed in that typical obeisance to "realpolitik" garbage.
George M. Carter