[Ip-health] FT: EU pledges to protect NHS in US trade talks

Outterson, Kevin mko at bu.edu
Fri Jul 11 06:15:19 PDT 2014

I was unable to click through the FT paywall, but note the careful wording, focusing on hospitals. What about drug & device makers - will they have ISDS rights against NHS or NICE? Tobacco companies against a plain pack initiative, as in Australia?

Also - England's court system is surely one of the most trustworthy on the planet. Why would these governments insist that such disputes cannot be heard in English courts, and *must* go to less transparent ISDS?  ISDS was designed to protect companies from nationalization by governments not following the rule of law. That doesn't characterize any of the negotiating parties for this agreement.

Kevin Outterson
Professor, BU Law
Visiting Fellow, Chatham House
Editor in Chief, Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics
Blogging health law at The Incidental Economist
Research papers at SSRN
@koutterson