[Ip-health] Assignments on USPTO HCV patents at time of patent grant

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Wed Jul 23 04:53:59 PDT 2014

I spent some time (more than I should have) updating the blog on HCV patent
assignments, at the time of the patent grant.  Jamie

http://keionline.org/node/2062

Hepatitis C Virus patent assignments: patents with HCV in the patent claim

To get a quick look at who is holding patents on the Hepatitis C Virus, I
did some searches of the USPTO database. In each search, I looked for the
term HCV in the field for patent claims (ACLM). Note this is fairly
arbitrary, and I get different (and higher) numbers if I include HCV in the
Abstract. In any case:

There were 1164 patents that have the term HCV in the patent claim.

Of the 1164 patents with HCV in the patent claim, 75 were assigned to
non-federal government owners, but disclosed federal funding and government
rights in the patents, and 11 are assigned to the US federal government.
Together the inventions declaring federal funding are 7 percent of the
total.

There are 96 patents have have the term HCV in the claims, and are assigned
to an entity with the term University or College in the name. Of these 96
patents, 56 disclose federal funding and federal rights in the patents.

Country of Assignee

I also looked at the country of the Assignee

The USPTO as a field in the patent database for the country of assignment.
Unfortunately, the USPTO only began to include a code for the US in 2006.
For the years 2006 to the present, there were 764 patents with the term HCV
in the claims. Of these, 501 patents (65.6 percent) were assigned to a US
owner, and 263 (34.4 percent) were assigned to a non-US owner.

For non-US entities, the country of assignment searches work for all years,
showing the assignment when the patent was granted (as opposed to any
current assignments that may exist). For the all of the patents with HCV in
the patent claim, from 1992 to the present, the country of assignment at
the grant of the patent is as follows, for the following 15 countries.

Germany: 56 patents.
Belgium: 54 patents.
Canada: 49 patents.
Japan: 39 patents.
France: 36 patents.
Sweden: 32 patents.
Italy: 29 patents.
Great Britain: 21 patents.
Ireland: 16 patents.
Switzerland: 15 patents.
Australia: 15 patents.
Austria: 11 patents.
Denmark: 10 patents.
Korea: 9 patents.
Israel: 7 patents.
Netherlands: 4 patents.
China: 4 patents.
Greece: 2 patents.
India: 2 patents.
Poland: 1 patent
12 members of Union of South American Nations (UNASUR): 0 patents.
Selected high risk countries: Egypt, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Latvia,
Lithuania, Pakistan,Romania, Russia, South Africa, Turkey, Ukraine: 0
patents.

Company of Assignment

For the company receiving an assignment of a patent with the term hcv in
the claim, these are results for the following companies :

(Note, this is not an exhaustive list)

Chiron: 86 patents. (owned by Novartis)
Bristol Myers: 69 patents.
Boehringer Ingelheim: 57 patents.
Schering: 55 patents. (Schering-Plough acquired by Merck in 2009)
Vertex: 46 patents
Innogenetics: 45 patents. (Acquired by Solvay in 2008, Abbott in 2009 and
Fujirebio in 2010)
Novartis: 41 patents.
Roche: 37 patents.
Enanta: 37 patents. (Licensed several patents to Abbott in 2006, entered
into an agreement with Novartis in 2012. Abbvie may acquire in 2014)
Gilead: 36 patents.
Merck: 36 patents.
Abbvie or Abbott: 30 patents.
Istituto di Ricerche di Biologia Molecolare P. Angeletti S.p.A. (IRBM): 15
patents. (part of US Merck)
Medivir: 15 patents.
Genelabs Technologies: 15 (In 2009, Genelabs was acquired by GSK.
Tibotec: 11 patents. (owned by J&J)
Janssen: 10 patents. (owned by J&J)
SmithKline Beecham, or Glaxo or GSK: 9 patents.
Isis Pharmaceuticals: 8 patents.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals: 8 patents.
Gen-Probe: 7 patents.
BioCryst Pharmaceuticals: 7 patents.
Biota Scientific Management: 7
Chrontech Pharma: 6 patents
Advanced Life Science Institute: 6 patents.
Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics: 6 (owned by J&J)
Idenix: 6 patents. (On June 9, 2014, Merck announced it would acquire
Idenix)
GlobeImmune: 6 patents.
United Biomedical: 6 patents.
Cenetron Diagnostics: 6 patents.
Achillion Pharmaceuticals: 5 patents.
Ambion: 5 patents.
Bio Merieux: 5 patents.
Pharmasset: 4 patents (Owned by Gilead)
Akzo Nobel N.V.: 4 patents.
Celgene Avilomics Research: 4 patents.
Baxter: 4 patents.
Hemavation: 3 patents.
Eli Lily: 3
Ribozyme: 3 patents.
BioNova: 3 patents.
Toray Industries: 3 patents.
Progenics Pharmaceuticals: 3 patents.
Immuno: 3 patents.
Pfizer: 2 patents.
Genoscience: 2 patents.
Valneva Austria GmbH: 2 patents.
Valeant: 2 patents.
Prosetta Antiviral: 2 patents.
PTC Therapeutics: 2 patents.
Metabasis Therapeutics: 2 patents.
Prosetta: 2 patents.
Bio-Rad Innovations: 2 patents.
Biostar: 2 patents.
Transgene: 2 patents.
Immusol: 2 patents.
Sysmex: 2 patents.
Mitsubishi: 2 patents.
KMT Hepatech: 2 patents.
Yeda Research and Development: 2 patents.
Molecules of Man AB: 2 patents.
AstraZeneca: 1
Murex Diagnostics: 1
Intermune: 1
Sarepta Therapeutics: 1
Alios BioPharma: 1
Instant Medical Diagnostics: 1
Arkray: 1
Inhibitex: 1
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics: 1
Amplimmune: 1
Simpson Biotech: 1
Scynexis: 1
Dynavax Technologies
General Antibodies and Biotechnologies: 1
Intarcia Therapeutics: 1
Sequoia Pharmaceuticals: 1
Japan Tobacco: 1
Immuno Aktiengesellschaft: 1 (since 1996, part of Baxter)
Amgen: 1
Wyeth: 1
Hetero Drugs Limited (IN): 1
Other

These selected Universities and governments are the recipient of
assignments of patents that have the term HCV in the patent claims.
(Note, this is not an exhaustive list)

Washington University: 15 patents.
The United States of America: 11 patents.
Leland Stanford Junior University: 10 patents.
Institut Pasteur: 8 patents.
University of Texas: 8 patents.
The Director General of the National Institute of Health of Japan: 8
Emory University: 7 patents.
Common Services Agency: 7 patents.
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique: 5 patents
University of Pennsylvania: 5 patents.
INSERM: 4 patents.
Rockefeller University: 4 patents.
The Regents of the University of California: 4 patents.
University of Washington: 4 patents.
Mogam Biotechnology Research Institute (Yongin-si, KR): 3 patents.
KU Leuven Research & Development (LRD): 3 patents.
The Johns Hopkins University: 3 patents.
Florida State University: 3 patents.
The Scripps Research Institute: 3 patents.
Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University: 3 patents.
Institut National de la Sante et de Recherche Medicale: 2 patents.
Universita Degli Studi Di Cagliari: 2 patents.
LUniversite Montpellier: 2 patents.
McMaster University: 2 patents.
University of Iowa: 2 patents.
The Chancellor, Masters and Scholars of the University of Oxford: 2 patents
Medical Research Council (London, GB): 2 patents.
University of Georgia Research Foundation: 2 patents
King's College London (London, GB): 1 patent.
Agency for Science, Technology and Research: 1 patent
University of Madras (Chennai, IN): 1 patent
Instytut Biochemii I Biofizyki (Warsaw, PL): 1 patent.
Instytut Medycyny Doswiadczalnej I Kliniczne (Warsaw, PL): 1 patent.
University de Strasbourg: 1 patent.
Note, companies acquire patent licenses and patents from third parties, and
may assign patents to companies with different names, including
subsidiaries.

Year of patent grant

Finally, these are the numbers of patent grants, by year.

2014 (Through July 21): 86 patents.
2013: 127 patents.
2012: 132 patents.
2011: 79 patents.
2010: 88 patents.
2009: 55 patents.
2008: 64 patents.
2007: 73 patents.
2006: 60 patents.
2005: 49 patents.
2004: 38 patents.
2003: 58 patents.
2002: 48 patents.
2001: 49 patents.
2000: 38 patents.
1999: 39 patents.
1998: 42 patents.
1997: 13 patents.
1996: 9 patents.
1995: 6 patents.
1994: 8 patents.
1993: 0 patents.
1992: 2 patents.

Before 1992 = 0

In terms of averages:

Period: Average number of patents;
2012 to 2013: 130
2006 to 2011: 70
1998 to 2005: 45
1992 to 1997: 6
Before 1992: 0

Source URL: http://keionline.org/node/2062

http://www.keionline.org, KEI DC tel: +1.202.332.2670, US Mobile:
+1.202.361.3040, Geneva Mobile: +41.76.413.6584,   twitter.com/jamie_love