[Ip-health] USTR's Special 301 docket, comments due today, by 5 PM.

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Fri Mar 7 03:38:49 PST 2014

Today is the last day to submit comments for the record to USTR for the
Special 301.  This year's proceeding is the most important one in my
memory, with a unique a very consequential focus on India, as a supplier of
generic medicines.

The mobilization by patent holders against India is something I have never
seen before, and for the first time in more than a decade, big drug
companies are beginning to target South Africa for trade sanctions, over
drug patent issues.

You can read the formal comments in this proceeding at
http://www.regulations.gov, searching for docket # USTR-2013-004.   USTR
also has 12 videos of the oral testimonies on Feb 24, 2014, which we have
organized into a play list here: http://goo.gl/6QTN4J.

KEI has pulled out sections from several of the industry submissions here:
http://www.keionline.org/ustr/Special301

We also have three special set of web pages with handy links to quotes from
industry submissions, including:

Trade associations attacking India IPR policies, in Docket USTR-2013-0040.
http://keionline.org/node/1932
Misc PhRMA quotes from 2014 Special 301 submission.
http://keionline.org/node/1928
Misc quotes (other than PhRMA) from 2014 Special 301 submission.
http://keionline.org/node/1929

USTR says the comments today are limited to submissions from persons who
testified on Feb 24, 2014, OR, to anyone who wants to comment on any of the
previous written or oral testimonies.  The second possibility opens up the
door to pretty much everyone, so long as you reference an industry
submission, which is not hard to do. (See above links to quotes from
industry submissions)

Even if your submission is brief, such a one page or less, it will be
useful.

It would be particularly useful to have comments which make more concrete,
vivid, and empirical, the role of India in supply affordable drugs, and the
consequences of shutting down India as a supplier of affordable drugs.   I
would also encourage groups iin South Africa to comment on the "Contagion
effect" issue, which is basically several trade associations and companies
complaining that South Africa patent reforms need to be stopped.

Jamie