[Ip-health] MSF at WHA67: Intervention on Global strategy and targets on TB

Joanna Keenan-Siciliano joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:29:35 PDT 2014

http://www.msfaccess.org/content/msf-intervention-global-strategy-and-targets-tuberculosis-67th-wha

*67th WHO World Health Assembly – Agenda item 12.1 *

*Global strategy and targets for tuberculosis prevention, care and control
after 2015*

*Intervention by Phumeza Tisile, Médecins Sans Frontières International*

 My name is Phumeza Tisile. I was diagnosed with normal TB in 2010, while
all along I had XDR-TB.

The journey to my cure was a matter of unfortunate events, BUT I survived.

Last year with my doctor I wrote the “Test Me, Treat Me” Manifesto. Today
I’m delivering the Manifesto to you, World Health Leaders.

The reason is: I wouldn't wish anyone to go through what I went through
with drug-resistant TB.  The drugs alone are a nightmare; becoming deaf
because of a drug’s side effects is just life-destroying.

Many of whom I’ve called my friends in hospitals are no longer alive.
Either the drugs didn't work, or they simply quit because the side effects
from 20 tablets a day for two years is too much.

Change is what I'm hoping for.  Better drugs.  No toxic drugs.

I’m not the only one.  I am here on behalf of people devastated by this
disease all over the world.  50,000 people have endorsed our Manifesto.

Ministers, I ask you to act to make the three demands of our DR-TB
Manifesto a reality.

One: Everyone must have access to fast and accurate diagnosis, and to
treatment not in hospitals but close to their homes.  Everyone with DR-TB
deserves timely treatment.

Two: Treatments must be more effective, tolerable, affordable, and be
shorter.  New TB drugs are needed now to give people a better chance.
People are dying and we cannot afford to wait– we need a better DR-TB
regimen now.

And three: Funding must be found to increase DR-TB diagnosis and treatment,
and for research into new, affordable treatment regimens and other
innovations.

Together, we can ensure TB is curable. But this requires more than a
strategy. It requires action.  I commend you for setting ambitious targets,
but I ask you to act now, I ask you for change.

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: @joanna_keenan