[Ip-health] The Office of Health Economics study

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Sat Nov 15 22:14:16 PST 2014

The OHE study can be downloaded here:
https://www.ohe.org/publications/rd-cost-new-medicine

This is from the Executive Summary:

Conclusions

Mean estimates of R&D costs per successful drug are useful in providing an
overall picture, but should be treated with caution. Important cost
differences exist across therapeutic areas, firm sizes and compound
origins. In addition, many of the cost estimates in the literature focus on
self-originated new compounds and exclude licensed-in compounds and
compounds that have been discovered and/or developed via alliances or deals
between companies, which are increasingly common. Other cost estimates do
not differentiate at all between self-originated and licensed-in compounds,
making it difficult to gauge their accuracy. These issues should be
factored in when drawing conclusions about R&D costs.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 12:40 AM, Dimasi, Joseph A. <Joseph.Dimasi at tufts.edu