[Ip-health] DiMasi Study

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Thu Nov 20 12:39:21 PST 2014

Nathaniel,

Next time you might try to address actual technical critiques of the
release of the $2.6 billion number.  Assuming you are not an activist  on a
mission yourself.

I'm not sure who you are referring to when saying "they cite countless
examples of drugs developed “on a shoestring”, for $50 million or less. "
Do you have a pointer for this?

We did publish actual data from the IRS orphan drug tax credit.  And, we
published the number of patients in trials for the FDA medical reviews for
ALL oncology products put on the market in the past 10 years (and the
orphan drug status of all 49 products).

We also raised some basic questions about uses of the averages for his
still secret sample, and questioned the relevance to the drugs for which
prices are most controversial.   Like you, we think context matters.

Questions of fact should not be ideological.   Estimates of costs should be
transparent.  If designed to be used by policy makers, they should also be
designed to enlighten, and not confuse.

Since you know something about this field, and, I am guessing you have read
the Tufts press release and power-point slides (there is no actual study
available yet), what do you think DiMasi was saying, about the
out-of-pocket costs on a particular drug, before risks and capital costs
are accounted for?  And, if you can't muster an estimate, what does that
say about the way Tufts released the data?

Jamie

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Nathaniel Lipkus <
nathaniel.lipkus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a short editorial on the DiMasi study, from my blog, Just Biotech (
> www.justbiotech.ca):
>
> http://www.justbiotech.ca/2-6-billion-to-develop-a-drug-so-what/
>
> Comments welcome,
>
> Nathaniel