[Ip-health] A bill giving 15 years of data exclusivity for a "dormant therapy"

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Thu Nov 27 07:13:40 PST 2014

Data and market exclusivity create almost perfect monopolies for pharma on the medicines they actually bring to market and at the time they do so.  They would not have to mess around with filing and prosecuting patents though many probably would do so to prevent competitors from getting marketing approval first.  At present, there is no explicit provision in international IP law allowing or disallowing CL-like exceptions to data/marketing exclusivity.

Pharma has been fighting for data/marketing exclusivity for decades and having gotten it in the US and Europe it is trying to extend the term of exclusivity in the global North while trying to impose the same monopoly protections in low and middle-income countries.  Not only should many questions be raised, these brazen, persistent attempts to achieve longer and inviolate monopolies on medicines should be resisted at all costs.

Professor Brook K. Baker
Health GAP (Global Access Project) &
Northeastern U. School of Law, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
Honorary Research Fellow, Faculty of Law, Univ. of KwaZulu Natal, SA
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
(w) 617-373-3217
(c) 617-259-0760