[Ip-health] USTR Begins Special 301 Report Out-of-Cycle Review of India | Office of the United States Trade Representative

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Sat Oct 18 05:15:29 PDT 2014

USTR is describing the new "annual high-level IP working group" as a
"promising" agreement.    Jamie

*  "The OCR will take stock of progress in our bilateral engagement on
these important issues, including the United States’ and India’s promising
recent agreement to establish an annual high-level Intellectual Property
Working Group as part of the bilateral Trade Policy Forum."

http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-office/press-releases/2014/October/USTR-Begins-Special-301-Report-Out-of-Cycle-Review-of-India

Washington, DC – In the 2014 Special 301 Report published in April, USTR
called for renewed and intensive engagement on intellectual property (IP)
issues with the Government of India, announcing that the United States
would “redouble our efforts to seek constructive engagement that will both
improve IP protection and enforcement in India and support India’s efforts
to achieve a ‘decade of innovation’ and advance its legitimate public
policy goals, including access to affordable medicines.”  USTR also
announced that we would initiate an Out-of-Cycle Review (OCR) of India in
the fall of 2014 to evaluate progress on this engagement.

Today, USTR is commencing the OCR by publishing in the Federal Register a
request for the public to provide all necessary information for identifying
and assessing the quality of engagement with the Government of India on
IP-related issues of concern.  The OCR will take stock of progress in our
bilateral engagement on these important issues, including the United
States’ and India’s promising recent agreement to establish an annual
high-level Intellectual Property Working Group as part of the bilateral
Trade Policy Forum.  The OCR will not re-visit India’s designation on the
2014 Priority Watch List.

We look forward to receiving comments from the public, and to working with
the Special 301 Subcommittee agencies as well as with the Government of
India to make our evaluation.

To view the Federal Register request, please click
http://www.ustr.gov/federal-register-notices/USTR-Request-Public-Comments-2014-Special-301-Out-of-Cycle-Review-India