[Ip-health] Compulsory Licensing vs. International Procurement

Justin Mendoza justin.mendoza at yale.edu
Mon Apr 20 06:19:04 PDT 2015

I stumbled upon this interesting piece the other day while researching for
a project I'm working on. Thought I would share it here, and see if anyone
had put out a response to it, or had any thoughts on the data.

I found this line from the discussion most interesting: "The compulsory
licensing price disadvantage was worst for those countries that were less
well off in terms of Human Development Index score—the very countries that
most need to save money."

Link (apologies for the pay wall, they didn't publish open source):
http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/34/3/493.full.pdf+html

Compulsory licensing often did not produce lower prices for antiretrovirals
compared to international procurement.
Beall RF
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Beall%20RF%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25732501>
1, Kuhn R
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Kuhn%20R%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25732501>
2, Attaran A
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Attaran%20A%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25732501>
3.

ABSTRACT Compulsory licensing has been widely suggested as a legal
mechanism for bypassing patents to introduce lower-cost generic
antiretrovirals for HIV/AIDS in developing countries. Previous studies
found that compulsory licensing can reduce procurement prices for drugs,
but it is unknown how the resulting prices compare to procurements through
the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria; UNICEF; and other
international channels. For this study we systematically constructed a
case-study database of compulsory licensing activity for antiretrovirals
and compared compulsory license prices to those in the World Health
Organization’s (WHO’s) Global Price Reporting Mechanism and the Global
Fund’s Price and Quality Reporting Tool. Thirty compulsory license cases
were analyzed with 673 comparable procurements from WHO and Global Fund
data. Compulsory license prices exceeded the median international
procurement prices in nineteen of the thirty case studies, often with a
price gap of more than 25 percent. Compulsory licensing often delivered
suboptimal value when compared to the alternative of international
procurement, especially when used by low-income countries to manufacture
medicines locally. There is an ongoing need for multilateral and charitable
actors to work collectively with governments and medicine suppliers on
policy options.
Wishing the best,

Justin Mendoza
Yale | School of Public Health