[Ip-health] Seminar on Drug Pricing: April 30th at 10AM

Elizabeth Rajasingh elizabeth.rajasingh at keionline.org
Tue Apr 21 14:08:04 PDT 2015

http://keionline.org/node/2212

On Thursday, 30 April 2015, KEI will host the first talk in a series of
seminars on drug pricing. The seminars will take place via video conference
(hosted by KEI), and participation is welcome either by attending the
presentation at KEI’s Washington, DC offices, or to the extent we are able,
joining the digital conference.

At present, we can add up to 15 persons on the digital conference.  If
there is a capacity issue for the remote participation, we will give
priority to academics, government officials, NGOs working on drug pricing,
and third party payers, and we will also explore other ways to expand the
number of people who can listen in or participate in real time.

After each seminar, the entire discussion will be posted online via YouTube
and will be available to the public for research and reference purposes.

This first talk will feature Professor Paul Grootendorst, the Director of
the Division of Social and Administrative Pharmacy at the University of
Toronto. Professor Paul Grootendorst will deliver a 15 minute talk on the
Canadian approach to drug pricing before opening up the discussion to
questions from those participating in the video conference. The seminars
are intended to inform the debate surrounding high priced medicines and to
encourage discussions about drug pricing solutions that can be applied here
in the US.

The seminar featuring Professor Grootendorst will take place on Thursday 30
April 2015, at 10:00am EST. If you would like to view the conference live
and participate in the discussion, please fill out this Google Poll (
http://goo.gl/forms/CctyHSyitY). Please contact Elizabeth Rajasingh via
elizabeth.rajasingh[at]keionline.org with any questions. She will send out
the link to join the seminar on the morning of the event.

If you are in the Washington area, please feel free to join the discussion
alongside our staff from our office in DC. Please send Elizabeth Rajasingh
a note at the above email so that we have a count of who will be attending
in person.

Paul Grootendorst

Paul Grootendorst is the Director of the Division of Social and
Administrative Pharmacy in the Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy at the
University of Toronto. He is also an associate professor in the Faculty of
Pharmacy and the School of Public Policy and Governance at the University
of Toronto and an adjunct associate professor in the Department of
Economics at McMaster University. Paul is also an associate editor of
Health Economics.

He researches the effects of changes in financing health care and
remuneration of health care providers on the behaviour of consumers and
producers in the healthcare system. He is interested in interactions
between brand and generic drug firms and is currently working on an
evaluation of the system of reference pricing of anti-hypertensive and
nitrate medicines introduced in British Columbia; and effects of patient
cost sharing for prescription medicines on use of drugs and other health
services using both administrative health claims and health survey data;
effects of patent term extension on R&D activity and drug expenditures; and
effects of physician expenditure caps on physician labour supply and
service patterns

Link to personal page: http://individual.utoronto.ca/grootendorst/

<http://individual.utoronto.ca/grootendorst/>
----
<http://individual.utoronto.ca/grootendorst/>
Elizabeth Rajasingh <http://individual.utoronto.ca/grootendorst/>
Perls Research and Policy Fellow, Knowledge Ecology International
<http://individual.utoronto.ca/grootendorst/>
1621 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 500
<http://individual.utoronto.ca/grootendorst/>
Washington, DC 20009 <http://individual.utoronto.ca/grootendorst/>