[Ip-health] Livemint: Need to bring our patent laws on par with global standards: Narendra Modi

Shailly Gupta shailly.gupta at geneva.msf.org
Thu Apr 23 18:25:01 PDT 2015

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/vW6RzcArtqHi6tUNFyoMqO/Need-to-bring-our-pa
tent-laws-on-par-with-global-standards.html

New Delhi: India's patent laws should be brought on par with global
standards to make Asia's third largest economy a hub for outsourced creative
services, Prime Minister
<http://www.livemint.com/Search/Link/Keyword/Narendra%20Modi> Narendra Modi
said on Thursday, signalling a major shift in the government's stand on the
intellectual property rights (IPR) regime.

So far, India has maintained that its IPR regime is fully compliant with
World Trade Organization rules and resisted pressure from the US and other
developed countries to change its patent law.

"If we don't work towards bringing our intellectual property rights at par
with global parameters, then the world will not keep relations with us. If
we give confidence to the world on IPR, then we can become a destination
globally for their creative work," Modi said, speaking at the first Global
Exhibition on Services (GES), organized by the commerce ministry.

K.M. Gopakumar, a legal researcher with the Third World Network, a
non-governmental organization, said there is only one global standard on IPR
and that is TRIPS (trade related aspects of intellectual property rights)
and India is already compliant with it. "We are definitely not at par with
US and EU standards. I hope the prime minister did not mean such standards
when he said we have to be at par with global standards," he added.

Making Indian patent laws compliant with the standards of the developed
countries will not bring in any investment to India and will instead make it
a destination for exports, which will be against the prime minister's Make
in India initiative, said Gopakumar.

The US has urged India to strengthen its patent regime and has even
threatened to downgrade its status for its "poor" record in protecting IPR.

Modi said the government will work towards liberalizing domestic services
sectors such as finance and legal services.

"We have made some archaic laws. We should not be afraid of the rest of the
world. We have to come out of that mentality. Why do we need to go outside
the country for arbitration? Why should it not happen in India? Don't we
have good chartered accountants and lawyers here? Because we have made such
laws. Some people think, if we open it up, some intelligent lawyers from
outside will come to the country and take away our jobs. That is not going
to happen," Modi said.

Mint first reported on 6 April that the government is contemplating
liberalizing legal services, including arbitration, on a reciprocal basis
with other countries.

Modi said the government is also working towards financial-sector reforms to
make India a hub for international financial activities to compete with
financial centres such as Singapore and Mauritius.

The GES is expected to serve as a platform to enhance strategic cooperation
and develop synergies between the players of the services sector in India
and their global counterparts. India is targeting 10 focus
sectors-information technology and telecom; tourism; media and
entertainment; healthcare; logistics; professional services, including
banking and financial services; education; research and development; space;
and small firms in services.

Of the 63 countries participating in the exhibition, 39, including Pakistan,
the UK and the US, have set up stalls.

While services contribute 57% of India's nearly $2 trillion gross domestic
product, net services exports were a meagre $73 billion in 2013-14, in which
software exports alone accounted for $69 billion. India's share of the
global services trade is 3.2%, while China has 4.6%.