[Ip-health] MPP Hep C and TB scoping studies and recommendation pending - UNITAID NGO/CS consultation

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Wed Apr 29 09:30:01 PDT 2015

Colleagues

We wanted to alert you to a study the MPP will shortly be releasing on Hep C and TB and let you know what the our process will be in consulting on the issues raised.

The MPP has done a study on the feasibility and desirability of expanding its scope from HIV to Hep C and TB. Part of the study will also include some initial thinking on diversifying its donor base, although no formal proposals will be put forward on this. It plans to send this study and its recommendations to the UNITAID Secretariat tomorrow, 30 April 2015. The Hep C study will cover an overview of the Hep C access landscape, the pipeline of areas of opportunity for MPP intervention, external stakeholder concerns, and the estimate added value of the MPP expanding the Hep C.

The NGO delegation has written to the Chair of the Board and the Executive Director of UNITAID requesting that this report is shared with our delegation and be made publicly available as soon as it is received.

Following the release of this study the we will be holding an online consultation on any proposals the MPP might make about expanding its mandate. We anticipate that this consultation will take place during May. Further details on the timing and scope of this consultation and how to contribute will be shared as soon as confirmed.

There will be a further opportunity to input on this issue prior to the UNITAID June 2015 Board Meeting. We will continue to follow the processes set out in our Terms of Reference, including circulating board documents to Contact Group members for review and holding consultative pre meetings with the delegation in advance of the Board Meetings. Contact Group members will be asked to maintain the confidentiality of all Board documents unless they have been publicly released. Diverse opinions will be welcome on all issues brought before the Board both from Contract Group members and others.

We understand that many members of the Contact Group and other CS organisations will be developing organisational positions on the MPP in parallel and are aware that some may choose to communicate with the UNITAID Secretariat directly. It would be helpful if these communications could be cc-ed to the NGO and Communities delegations at UNITAID (please email to:  Alysa Remtulla <alysa at stopaids.org.uk>) as disjointed communications will risk undermining the effectiveness of the delegations that have successfully fought for Hep C programming by UNITAID, including patent opposition and compulsory licence strategies.

Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks in advance for your engagement.

Brook Baker, b.baker at neu.edu, and Diarmaid McDonald, Diarmaid at stopaids.org.uk
NGO Board Member and NGO Alternate Board Member to the UNITAID Board