[Ip-health] WHO Bulletin: Expensive medicines: ensuring objective appraisal and equitable access

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Sun Aug 23 14:31:03 PDT 2015

​I like the suggestion in this article for a ​​
​
global forum to discuss objectivity and equity in access to high-priced
drugs. ​ I would expand the mandate however to consider more radical
changes in how we pay for R&D for new cancer drugs, based upon delinkage of
R&D costs from drug prices.

Jamie

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/93/1/14-148924/en/

Expensive medicines: ensuring objective appraisal and equitable access

Suzanne R Hill a, Lisa Bero b, Geoff McColl a & Elizabeth Roughead c

a. University of Melbourne, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia.
b. Charles Perkins Centre, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
c. University of South Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia.

Correspondence to Suzanne R Hill (email: suzannerhill at gmail.com).

Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2015;93:4. doi:
http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/BLT.14.148924

------------------

We consider that it is time for a
​​
global forum to discuss objectivity and equity in access to high-priced
drugs. Such a forum should extend beyond the usual networks of payers and
authorities on health technology assessment. It needs to define the methods
needed to manage the early entry of promising products – i.e. how to
evaluate the data that are available for early market entry, determine an
appropriate initial price, optimize the collection of data from clinical
practice, enable independent trials and manage the exit of products that,
in practice, are found to be insufficiently effective. The forum should
promote the development of a method for pricing new drugs. Such a method
needs to reconcile the need for fair pricing, with the difficulties of
obtaining accurate information on research, development and manufacturing
costs. The forum should include representatives of patient and consumer
groups, so that the right questions are asked, appropriate research
priorities are set and outcomes are communicated.