[Ip-health] NY Times editorial: No Justification for High Drug Prices

Kapczynski, Amy amy.kapczynski at yale.edu
Tue Dec 22 08:43:53 PST 2015

Yes, agree - that’s why I’d also insist on the proviso about “assuming the drug’s social benefits are sufficient to justify the R&D expenditures.”

Needs to be sufficiently socially valuable to justify paying for it.  But that doesn’t mean we need to pay for all of the social value of the drug.  (We don’t generally pay people for all of the social value they create in markets — see Lemley and Frischmann on Spillovers on this.)