[Ip-health] MSF needs your help on prices of the ...

Joanna Keenan-Siciliano joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 02:57:37 PST 2015

...pneumococcal vaccine.

Dear all,

Apologies for bringing another issue on to this listserve, but hoping you
can help us out.

We're currently waging a battle on the price of vaccines, which - thanks to
the pharmaceutical industry - is shrouded in secrecy. With the prices of
vaccines paid by countries being kept a secret, it means that many in
middle-income countries pay far more than they should - more than wealthy,
developed countries, in some cases - in particular for the pneumococcal
vaccine, which protects against pneumonia. Pneumonia kills one million kids
each year, many of whom don't have access to the vaccine because of its
high price.

MSF is working with the Guardian newspaper to collect as much information
on the price of the vaccine in as many different countries as possible. If
you can please help us out - even a quick call to your local pharmacy could
help - and share this so we cast the net as far and as wide as possible,
that would be really appreciated, thanks!

Help us crowdsource the price of pneumococcal vaccine around the world

On January 20th, Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) released the second edition
of its vaccine pricing report, The Right Shot, which showed that in the
poorest countries, the price to vaccinate a child is now a colossal 68
times more expensive than it was in 2001.

The pneumonia vaccine alone accounts for approximately 45% of the full
vaccination package price tag. The lowest global price of the vaccine today
is US$9.30 for three doses and it’s only available to countries supported
by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. This price is beyond the reach of many
developing countries that don’t receive donor subsidies.

In order to negotiate better with pharmaceutical companies, we need to know
the prices charged around the world for this vaccine. We don’t. The prices
of vaccines are kept deliberately secret.

In order to break the silence, MSF has joined up with The Guardian
newspaper to launch a crowdsourcing project to collect the prices of
pneumococcal vaccine world wide.

Help us to break through that silence and click here to input the price you
pay for pneumococcal vaccine where you are
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2015/jan/20/help-us-crowdsource-vaccine-prices-around-the-world

Please share this appeal with your networks – thanks – we have seven days
to collect this data with The Guardian.

Kind regards

Joanna

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: @joanna_keenan