[Ip-health] historical evidence on patents and innovation

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Mon Feb 16 20:22:13 PST 2015

AIdan, thanks for that cite.  At WIPO this week  Keith Maskus and Kamal
Saggi have cited studies to the contrary, including this one.

Olena Ivus. Do Stronger Patent Rights Raise High-Tech Exports to the
Developing World? Journal of International Economics 81: 38-47   2010 (I
believe this was written in 2008).

The Maskus/Saggi paper, titled "INTERNATIONAL TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER: AN
ANALYSIS FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF DEVELOPING COUNTRIES" from two US based
economists is here:

 is here:
http://www.wipo.int/edocs/mdocs/mdocs/en/cdip_14/cdip_14_inf_11.pdf

Walter Park of American University provided the commentary on the Maskus
Saggi paper.   In his commentary, Park said that one result from the Maskus
paper was reversed when China, Korea and Taiwan were separated from their
dataset.

Jamie

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 7:13 PM, Aidan Hollis <ahollis at ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> I don’t recall seeing this article by Petra Moser being highlighted in
> ip-health. I thought that it might be of particular interest in the context
> of international trade negotiations as well as India’s current debate over
> patent laws.
>
> https://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10.1257/jep.27.1.23
>
> A quick preview:
> "Overall, the weight of the existing historical evidence suggests that
> patent policies, which grant strong intellectual property rights to early
> generations of inventors, may discourage innovation. On the contrary,
> policies that encourage the diffusion of ideas and modify patent laws to
> facilitate entry and encourage competition may be an effective mechanism to
> encourage innovation. Carefully executed historical analyses can help to
> shed further light on these pressing issues of patent policy. "
>
> I think that it is right to caution that the modern pharmaceutical
> industry faces different barriers to effective innovation (i.e. clinical
> trials) and tougher competition (i.e. automatic substitution for
> small-molecule products) than some of the historical examples cited in
> Moser’s article. It also charges higher prices…
>

> Aidan Hollis
> Professor of Economics
> University of Calgary
> ahollis at ucalgary.ca <mailto:ahollis at ucalgary.ca>