[Ip-health] Infojustice Roundup - February 23, 2015

Michael Palmedo mpalmedo at wcl.american.edu
Mon Feb 23 13:09:37 PST 2015

Infojustice Roundup

[snip]

TRIPS In Question During Social Forum Discussion On Access To Medicines

[Catherine Saez] Intellectual property rights are hindering access to medicines by maintaining monopolies and high prices, according to speakers at an annual United Nations forum on human rights last week. Flexibilities enshrined in the World Trade Organization intellectual property agreement are hampered by political and economic pressure, they said, and a new system should be devised for pharmaceutical products. Click here for the full story on IP Watch. <http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/02/23/trips-in-question-during-social-forum-discussion-on-access-to-medicines/>

[snip]

An Open Source Business Model for Malaria

[Christine Årdal and John-Arne Røttingen]  Abstract: Greater investment is required in developing new drugs and vaccines against malaria in order to eradicate malaria. These precious funds must be carefully managed to achieve the greatest impact. We evaluate existing efforts to discover and develop new drugs and vaccines for malaria to determine how best malaria R&D can benefit from an enhanced open source approach and how such a business model may operate. We assess research articles, patents, clinical trials and conducted a smaller survey among malaria researchers. Our results demonstrate that the public and philanthropic sectors are financing and performing the majority of malaria drug/vaccine discovery and development, but are then restricting access through patents, 'closed' publications and hidden away physical specimens. Click here for more. <http://infojustice.org/archives/33949>