[Ip-health] WSJ: CVS Gives Preferred Status to Gilead¹s Hepatitis C Drugs

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Thu Jan 8 05:37:55 PST 2015

Companies also do it on the basis of stringent secrecy so that they can
continue to extort higher prices from smaller insurers and consumers.  The
lack of transparency between Gilead's new price and AbbVie's also means
that analysts and advocates will not be able to measure the level and
conditionalities of price discounts and there are reduced opportunities
for additional price pressure and open competition between the drug
company oligopolies.

It is a common misperception that price secrecy leads to better deals from
drug companies.  Their executives laugh all the way to the bank in the
wake of this big lie.  Especially in the context of global HIV and
comprehensive reporting of the price of antiretrovirals, we have seen much
more price uniformity (except where patents status differentiate access)
and much lower prices.  Of course, most of price reductions have resulted
from robust generic competition and the assured purchasing power of the
Global Fund and PEPFAR.

Professor Brook K. Baker
Northeastern U. School of Law
Affiliate, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
416 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
Senior Policy Analyst Health GAP (Global Access Project)
NGOs Board Member UNITAID
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056