[Ip-health] India rejects Gilead's Hepatitis C drug patent request

Nehaa Chaudhari nehaa at cis-india.org
Thu Jan 15 21:57:54 PST 2015

http://spicyip.com/2015/01/gilead-to-appeal-sofosbuvir-patent-rejection.html

  Gilead to appeal Sofosbuvir patent rejection

bySwaraj Paul Barooah
<http://spicyip.com/author/swaraj-paul-barooah>January 16, 2015
<http://spicyip.com/2015/01/gilead-to-appeal-sofosbuvir-patent-rejection.html>
Leave a Comment
<http://spicyip.com/2015/01/gilead-to-appeal-sofosbuvir-patent-rejection.html#respond>

<mailto:?subject=Gilead%20to%20appeal%20Sofosbuvir%20patent%20rejection&body=http://spicyip.com/2015/01/gilead-to-appeal-sofosbuvir-patent-rejection.html>

forwhomthebelltolls
<http://spicyip.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/forwhomthebelltolls.jpg>Following
on fromour post yesterday
<http://spicyip.com/2015/01/breaking-news-patent-office-rejects-gileads-hep-c-drug-patent-application.html>,
where I’d mentioned there were some potential issues with the patent
office’s rejection of Gilead’s patent application over Hepatitis C drug,
sofosbuvir, it appears Gilead will be appealing the decision due to the
patent office’s handling of section 3(d). Also, its worth noting that
besides Gilead’s patent application for sofosbuvir rejected, 13th
January also saw India become the first Asian country to grant
regulatory approval to sofosbuvir.

Gilead’s response is as below:

“Gregg Alton, executive Vice President, Corporate and Medical Affairs
Gilead Sciences said:

    The main patent applications covering sofosbuvir are still pending
    before the Indian Patent Office. This rejection relates to the
    patent application covering the metabolites of sofosbuvir. We are
    pleased that the Patent Office found in favor of the novelty and
    inventiveness of our claims, but believe their Section 3(d) decision
    to be improper. Gilead strongly defends its intellectual property.
    The company will be appealing the decision as well as exploring
    additional procedural options.

    These proceedings do not impact our commitment to enabling access to
    our hepatitis C medicines in India and other developing countries,
    and our generic licensing program with our Indian partners continues
    as normal. We welcome the news that on the 13^th January 2015 the
    authorities in India granted sofosbuvir regulatory approval in an
    unprecedented four months – the first country in Asia to approve
    sofosbuvir – recognizing the need to bring this innovative new
    medicine to patients in India as quickly as possible.”

We’ll try to put forth a more detailed Section 3(d) analysis soon. I had
evidently missed the news that regulatory approval for sofosbuvir had
been granted in such a quick span – this is no doubt good news
regardless of which stakeholder’s perspective you take. Regarding ‘the
main’ patent applications that are still pending before the IPO, I’ve
not yet looked at it myself but we did have ananonymous comment
<http://spicyip.com/2015/01/breaking-news-patent-office-rejects-gileads-hep-c-drug-patent-application.html#comment-14439>yesterday
which seems to refer to it, indicating that Gilead Pharmasset has a weak
case for it. I’m pasting the relevant part below.

    The data provided in the table as submitted with the application
    only relates to the cytidine analogs, not the uridine analog which
    forms the base of sofosbuvir in its prodrug form (subject of the
    application 3658/KOLNP/2009). Pharmasset itself has said in earlier
    publications that (see Clark 2005) that the uridine base
    demonstrated no activity (which could translated to efficacy) or
    cytoxicity. This is the case also against the known forms which
    Gilead Pharmasset compound and the uridine analog derives from. It’s
    for this very reason Gilead Pharmasset cannot show how the uridine
    analog is more efficacious than the known forms.

[Full comment availablehere
<http://spicyip.com/2015/01/breaking-news-patent-office-rejects-gileads-hep-c-drug-patent-application.html#comment-14439>.
You can also find I-MAK’s Opposition Documents for the above mentioned
patent applications onthis page <http://www.i-mak.org/sofosbuvir/>].

On 15/01/2015 05:25, Giten Khwairakpam wrote:
> This is such a great news Priti. Well done and congratulations to you and all at IMAK.
>
> Thanks
> Giten

Nehaa Chaudhari
The Centre for Internet and Society