[Ip-health] publication of new book: BIOPROPERTY

Katerina Sideri katerina.sideri10 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 02:26:56 PST 2015

Hi

I would like to draw your attention to the publication of my new book,
which I think some of the readers of this list will find interesting. The
title is: BIOPROPERTY, BIOMEDICINE AND DELIBERATIVE GOVERNANCE. PATENTS AS
DISCOURSE ON LIFE (Ashgate, December 2014).

The website of the book is: http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9780754677383

Some info from the website:

Biomedical patents have been the subject of heated debate. Regulatory
agencies such as the European Patent Office make small decisions with big
implications, which escape scrutiny and revision, when they decide who has
access to expensive diagnostic tests, whether human embryonic stem cells
can be traded in markets, and under what circumstances human health is more
important than animal welfare. Moreover, the administration of the Trade
Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights by the World Trade
Organization has raised considerable disquiet as it has arguably created
grave health inequities. Those doubting the merits of the one size fits all
approach ask whether priority should be given to serving the present needs
of populations in dire need of medication or to promoting global
innovation. The book looks in detail into the legal issues and ethical
debates to ask the following three main questions: First, what are the
ideas, goals, and broader ethical visions that underpin questions of
governance and the legal reasoning employed by administrative agencies?
Second, how can we democratize the decision making process of technocratic
institutions such as the European Patent Office? Finally, how can we make
the global intellectual property system more equitable? In answering these
questions the book seeks to contribute to our understanding of the role and
function of regulatory agencies in the regulation of the bioeconomy,
explains the process of interpretation of legal norms, and proposes ways to
rethink the reform of the patent system through the lens of legitimacy.

With best wishes
Katerina Sideri