[Ip-health] MSF reaction to UNAIDS report on progress of global HIV treatment scale-up

Joanna Keenan joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 08:56:10 PDT 2015

Médecins Sans Frontières reaction to UNAIDS report on progress of global
HIV treatment scale-up

http://www.msfaccess.org/about-us/media-room/press-releases/m%C3%A9decins-sans-fronti%C3%A8res-reaction-unaids-report-progress-global

Background:

UNAIDS’s new book: ‘How AIDS changed everything. MDG6: 15 years, 15 lessons
of hope from the AIDS response’ includes updates on the number of people on
antiretroviral treatment (ART) and the total number of people living with
HIV in developing countries. UNAIDS is announcing that the goal of getting
15 million people on ART in developing countries by 2015 was reached in
March of this year.  The ’15 by 15’ goal was set in June 2011, at the UN
High-level Meeting on HIV/AIDS.

“Reaching the milestone of 15 million people on HIV treatment in developing
countries is an important global accomplishment, but we can’t lose sight of
the fact that more than half of the people living with HIV still do not
have access to treatment. We cannot afford to lose any momentum at this
point and need to double the pace of treatment scale-up—every day, more
people need to be put on treatment than the day before.

In some countries where we work, HIV treatment coverage is as low as 17%,
which stands in stark contrast to the UNAIDS goal of 90% treatment
coverage, and much more attention needs to be paid to these neglected
contexts.

Just as progress in scaling-up HIV treatment is at an all-time high and
science supports expanding treatment for all people with HIV—both for their
own health benefit and to curb the spread of the virus—donors are making
one of their most cynical proposals in recent history, by asking the Global
Fund to shrink its support for developing countries’ interventions to fight
HIV/AIDS, as well as TB and malaria. Any move to withdraw support from the
global HIV effort at this point flies in the face of what experts*
conclude: today we must take our opportunity to curtail the epidemic, or
risk sliding back to the same dismal mortality and infection rates as five
years ago. The choice before the international community is stark: you can
curtail new HIV cases and death, or you can curtail HIV funding for
developing countries—but you can’t do both.”

Sharonann Lynch, HIV/TB Policy Advisor, Médecins Sans Frontières Access
Campaign

*in the recent Lancet Commission report

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: @joanna_keenan