[Ip-health] ​Harvey Bale, former Director General of IFPMA, says Fast Track "favors the powerful over the weak"

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Fri Jun 12 18:55:09 PDT 2015

http://keionline.org/node/2250

​​
Harvey Bale, former Director General of IFPMA, says Fast Track "favors the
powerful over the weak"
​
12. June 2015
​James Love​

​
Following the Friday vote in the House of Representatives which effectively
blocked movement (for now) on the Trade Promotion Authority, and more
generally, slowed down the TransPacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations, I
was contacted by Dr. Harvey Bale, the well known former Director General of
the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations
(IFPMA). In an exchange on Facebook, Dr. Bale took favorable note of the
outcome on fast track, and described the vote against fast track as "A very
good day, Indeed." I asked Dr. Bale for a statement we could use publicly
for the next round of debates and he provided the following:

​"​
I have the experience of being a former trade negotiator and senior trade
official and I conclude that 1) Fast track is a poor tool for conducting
trade negotiations -- it encourages our negotiators NOT to negotiate hard
on behalf of the general welfare (including labor); 2) secrecy of trade
agreements is no longer viable, especially in an Administration that claims
to give priority to transparency, since its purpose is to stack the deck
against those who should be able to fairly use the democratic process to
oppose something against their interest; 3) Fast track is immoral: the
negative outcomes of negotiations will fall on those who are not or are
ill-organized to resist. It favors the powerful over the weak.
​"​

​----------------------​
​h​
e IFPMA press release upon his retirement was laudatory:
​
"​
IFPMA director general Dr. Harvey Bale to retire in June 2008, after more
than a decade of service
​,"
April 17th, 2008.
​
​
http://www.firstwordpharma.com/node/61432​​

​​----------------------------​
​Below is his BIO from WIPO:
​

​​
​
https://www.wto.org/english/forums_e/debates_e/harvey_bale_popup_e.htm​
​
WIPO Biography
​- ​
Dr. Harvey E. Bale, Jr.

[Until 2008] Harvey Bale [was] Director-General of the International
Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations, IFPMA. The IFPMA
represents the research-based pharmaceutical industry and other
manufacturers of prescription medicines, through over 55 industry member
associations worldwide.

Dr. Bale had prior experience with the Pharmaceutical Research and
Manufacturers of America from 1989 as Senior Vice President for
International Affairs. Prior to that he was International Public Policy
Manager at Hewlett-Packard, and before joining HP in 1987, he served 12
years in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative.

He has served on governmental trade, investment and intellectual property
advisory committees, on the boards of the Georgetown University Landegger
Program in International Business Diplomacy and the University of Maryland
Graduate School of Management and Technology. Dr. Bale has a B.A. from the
Temple University and a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Maryland.

http://www.keionline.org/donate.html
+41.76.413.6584, twitter.com/jamie_love